Forum Discussion

3 years ago

why is defense modded for so rarely?

Usually people mod for protection on durable characters to avoid max health effects wrecking them but them being thicc. Unless ofc they have health based stuff like prot up, SEE vs JMK, grievous etc

But its only on a tiny number of toons that people mod for defense. Do full health sets and prot primaries just do more for ya mines than defense sets and defense everywhere you can (prot everywhere else)?
  • There is something called "defense penetration" and "ignore protection", but there is nothing like health penetration. So yes, health modding is better, except of course if you face max health dmg or expose damage.
    SnuggeSnuggles
    Seasoned Newcomer
    Yes by adding the datacrons ignoring defense it shows that CG didn’t really care that much about balance when doing the great nerf. Their incentive for it seems a bit more monetary. Or maybe they did care but not anymore.
    crzydroid
    Seasoned Traveler
    There's a diminishing return on defense. The higher the defense is, the less mitigation will be added from increasing defense %.
  • Farm no. Get yes. They're both the same energy to farm.

OP - It's a holdover from so many toons having abilities that could ignore defence. They changed that with the Great Nerf so there are now many more cases where full defence modding is beneficial.
  • "Vendi1983;c-2374275" wrote:
    Farm no. Get yes. They're both the same energy to farm.

OP - It's a holdover from so many toons having abilities that could ignore defence. They changed that with the Great Nerf so there are now many more cases where full defence modding is beneficial.

Well I consider Separatist AB as a way of farming health mods :smile:

With datacrons, "defense/armor penetration" is back in full swing though.
    perfidius44
    Rising Newcomer
    "chaube97;d-257795" wrote:
    Usually people mod for protection on durable characters to avoid max health effects wrecking them but them being thicc. Unless ofc they have health based stuff like prot up, SEE vs JMK, grievous etc

But its only on a tiny number of toons that people mod for defense. Do full health sets and prot primaries just do more for ya mines than defense sets and defense everywhere you can (prot everywhere else)?

Defense sets are a thing and could be used on most tanks (even gas) without issues. However, defense primaries are less efficient than prot/health primaries afaik.
  • It is the only way to complete CT3 of secrets & shadows…..
    R8/9 Daka with massive health AND Defence, lots of Defence…
  • I watched a video 2-3 years ago in which the creator did the math on defense vs health. I didn't watch the entire thing because it was just a lot of numbers and got boring quickly. Things may have changed, but his math showed that, for a lot of units, defense was more beneficial than health. Obviously, defense penetration would mitigate that.

I found it:

https://youtu.be/ktAr5KOmNOk