Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Sims 2 resolution stuck in 800x600

Hi,
So the problem started yesterday after I installed new memory in my laptop. The game had all resolutions but when I launched it twice today I had it was stuck in 800x600 and the was the only resolution listed. I uninstalled all the packs including the base game and reinstalled them only to end up with the same resolution.

My system is a win 10 64 bit and Graphics card is AMD HD Radeon 8400/R3 series I've checked my graphics settings and everything is fine it's just graphics via game. Also I do not use origin when playing TS2. I have them on Disc.

Edit: The game was fine yesterday until installing the new memory.
  • "JULES1111;c-16456611" wrote:
    "BMSO;c-16456279" wrote:
    Sorry double post.

@JULES1111 Thank you again. I got the game to run normally with full screen and edge smoothing once again. I used notepad++ and also had to change setb texturememorysize from false to true to get the edge smoothing back. Did not have to use graphic rules maker thankfully.

Glad you got it all working again. The graphic rules maker just automatically (sometimes) does these changes. So if you don't mind doing them by hand you don't need the graphic rules maker.

It wasn't that hard to edit just mostly just changing scripting.

"Rflong7;c-16456664" wrote:
    *Glad you got it working but Yeah, GRM is a simple thing to help people who don't want or can't make the changes to the graphics files. It doesn't even have to stay installed and it's nothing like SimPE which edits so much more. :)
    I used the old notepad (no ++) to change it way before the graphics rules maker was made. I'm really glad it was made, so much better for me.
    I can see you don't mind CC so a simple file editor... I don't get it but you be you. :cookie:

I may use it next time if I ever have to re-install TS2 which I may have to this weekend. had to re order Apartment life.
  • Hey I hope this finds you! I went though the steps and when I went to save the game it told me I did not have permission
  • I had this issue when I tried to play The Sims Life Stories on my no-name (generic) desktop using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 which seems to be a result of the game not detecting the card correctly. I also had the black box bug on The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories as well (probably a Windows 10 issue).

I know some games such as The Sims 2 Double Deluxe, The Sims 2 Seasons, and The Sims Castaway Stories can lock their resolution to 800x600 if the game is played on an older card even if the older game (e.g., The Sims 2 Pets) hadn't experienced that issue. I had an eMachines with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE which worked in The Sims 2 Pets (I was able to change the resolution) but not in The Sims 2 Seasons (I was stuck on 800x600).
  • I know this thread is old, but I installed the sims 2 holiday edition on my pc and some of the options in the performance menu were grey’d out. Are you all saying that all I need to do is download GRM and my problem will be solved ?