Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Adding Sims 3 to a 2017 MacBook Pro

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can’t find a post specifically about this. I have The Sims 3 on my early 2011 MacBook Pro. It is installed with a pre 2012 disc and using Patch 1.67. I have not updated past Mavericks so as not to mess up my game. That MacBook has difficulty functioning and seriously needs some more RAM.

I have recently purchased a 2017 MacBook Pro. It is thankfully on the list of macs that can run The Sims 3. I have copied my entire Documents folder onto this Mac, including my Sims 3 folder. How do I add my base game and expansion packs to this mac? Most of my expansion packs and stuff packs are on disc. Can a disc be used on more than one computer? Can I install them manually, or does one have to go through Origin? If going through Origin, is there anything that as a mac user I should beware of? The link on Bluebellflora’s blog for Caspinwall and Tremayne’s post about Origin does not work.

I am anxious to see how the game will work on the new computer and with Sierra. It should look beautiful. In fact, I am anxious to get back to the game, period; I have not even tried to start it up on the old mac, lately. Alternately, I have been thinking about upgrading the old MacBook and using that as my Bootcamped computer – unless the game somehow goes swimmingly on the new mac with Sierra.