Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Any thoughts on Create A World

I've recently gotten back in Sims 3 and installed Create A World to play around with that. It wouldn't open on my computer. I wondered if I would have better luck with an older machine. I have my late father's computer, it's not an antique, but it's older than this one I built in 2020. It still has Windows 7 on it because the change to Windows 10 was just too much for his dementia.

Any tips on running CAW on a newer computer?
  • I think the issue that you are having is not your PC being new but with the new EA app as others have complained about not be able to use CAW after being forced to switch from Origin to the EA app. There is a thread over on the AHQ site that others have posted in.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/EA-App-Sims-3-Create-a-World-Edit-in-game-doesn-t-work/td-p/11461331/page/4

@EA_Cade has posted over in this thread about EA looking into it but can't make any promises on whether they can get it to work.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18234832/#Comment_18234832

As another forum member has suggested to sticking with the disk installs on all of their Sims 3 games providing that you have an older disc version of TS3 that wasn't from 2012 as that is the one that tied TS3 to the Origin app. And as for anyone playing TS3 from Steam, I'm not sure if they are having issues with the CAW tool because if they aren't, then maybe you might need to buy the base game and all of the packs from Steam.

Hope this helps... :)
    KevinL5275
    Seasoned Rookie
    Steam doesn't work either, only the original disk installs on 1.67 work with CAW right now.
  • What do you mean it didn't run on your computer? Does it just crash to desktop or do you get an error message?
  • Sorry you guys lost something you enjoyed I never used caw because you had to download stuff to use it
    lets hope in sims 5 its built in.
  • This is the error message I got. I tried running it as Windows XP service pack 3, which the program compatibility wizard recommended, but no joy. I am not completely certain where my old discs are, so I guess I may have to give it up

• "comicsforlife;c-18238200" wrote:
    Sorry you guys lost something you enjoyed I never used caw because you had to download stuff to use it
    lets hope in sims 5 its built in.

To tell the truth, it's little things like this that make me less inclined to invest further in Sims 4 or consider purchasing Sims 5. You don't expect a great level of support for a "Legacy" game, but if EA is still prepared to take money for Sims 3, it should consider not breaking it. It says something about the character of the company

• "FrancesWery;c-18238209" wrote:
    This is the error message I got. I tried running it as Windows XP service pack 3, which the program compatibility wizard recommended, but no joy. I am not completely certain where my old discs are, so I guess I may have to give it up

@FrancesWery Ah, ok. In that case, you have to get the version of CAW that matches the patch level of your game. The patch level can be seen in the bottom left corner of the launcher. It will either say 1.67 or 1.69. If you have 1.67, download and install the CAW version for that patch. Ditto, if you have 1.69.
  • "KevinL5275;c-18238181" wrote:
    Steam doesn't work either, only the original disk installs on 1.67 work with CAW right now.

It works, but you have to edit the registry to get CAW to work on the Steam platform.