Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Are your sims Practically Perfect or Fatally Flawed?

I recently revisited Sims Medieval after several years and was reintroduced to the idea of Fatal Flaws. Not being able to make a "perfect" sim is sort of fun in a way. Many years ago when I first fired up TS3, I often tried to make perfect sims. I had so many friendly, charismatic, romantic geniuses. Lol. These days, I like giving them a few negative traits like neurotic, grumpy, or kleptomaniac to give them a quirk or two. What about you? How perfect (or imperfect) are your sims?

(I realize that "good" and "bad" are subjective. Mostly what I mean is traits that have a generally positive impact or make your sims' lives easier like friendly, lucky, or athletic, vs. ones that can potentially cause problems like loser, mean-spirited, or socially awkward.)
  • I hesitated between "perfect" and "depends"

If it's a Sim I'm going to play a lot, I rarely give them problematic traits, except hot headed now and then. But if they are going to be peripheral sims, I'll throw in a few bad ones now and then.

Question: If you try to re-trait a townie, do the changes usually work for you? Because in the vast majority of mine, the pop up whims and thoughts and emotions etc. still correspond to the old traits they had before I changed them in CAS.
  • I must confess I find it very hard to choose bad traits, I always end up choosing the perfect choice for whatever direction I have planned for my sim. I’ve been playing the game for nine years now and only now am I starting to realize how that is not necessarily the right choice per se, that giving them not so good traits can be so much fun! It even opens up corners in the game I didn’t know it had. Point is...., it’s almost compulsory for me to do the perfection thing, it’s a real fight to let it go somehow lol. I downloaded a dog the other day and saw he is agressive. Immediately I started looking for a replacement and then, NO, I remembered my resolution. Agressive it will be.

So, I chose what applies to me, but it’s under development :D
  • I feel that any fictional character is more interesting, and seems more real if I can relate to them in some way. Real humans aren't perfect, they're multi-faceted, in fact if they're too perfect they seem more INhuman (like a robot or a Stepford Wife). Early on I created perfect Sims, and my gameplay felt stifled as I tried not to mess up their lives too much. Like any overpowered character, "God mode" gets so boring, and once I started balancing their traits I began to relax and have more fun (like a wealthy Sim who's a klepto).
  • @EsReverniDrawrof

The stepford wives thought is a good point. I should give more of mine some flaws. I’d given two sims the hot headed trait, and then they both fell in love with the same sim, so I had a love triangle that was driving me crazy, lol

But it was fun to see how easily the women could placate one of them, while the other one raged for hours, or cried too.

So, each one is different for some reason

I might try a stepford wives family, and see if all of them basically end up the same way over time. ?
  • Perfect of COURSE, I ain't got time to be cleaning up my little worker bees' self induced problems and they have work to do and simoleons to make!

I'm totally amused by the flawed though :)
  • Most times I give them one or two bad traits, but I do play both other ways, too. I'd say it's 60-20-20.