Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Is Ambitions worth buying?

I was trying to decide if I want ambitions or world adventures. Which do you think is better?
  • I found both World Adventures and Ambitions to be worth the money. I bought them when they were released and definitely got my money's worth of entertainment out of both. However, the choice may come down to what you want to do, if you have to choose only one.

World Adventures introduces vacations to France, Egypt, and China. However the real focus is on an almost 'Indiana Jones' like tomb raiding and archaeology, except without the *****.

Pros:
    * 3 vacation towns to explore regardless of which town you call home.
    * Vacations allow you to take a break from work to skill up or just play.
    * While vacations cost a little money, you can make enough back from adventuring to fund your dream house, if you desire.
    * Adventuring is also great for lifetime happiness.

Cons:
    * While there are editable lots in each of the vacation destinations, the Base Camp isn't one of them. So your household be locked out of build/buy on vacation until you have done enough adventuring to earn a vacation home.
    * Tombs and many of the adventures can only really be done once per game. There will be little left for the next generation to do once you're first sims are done.
    * Has a long history of being buggy.

Honestly, a lot of the bugs have been fixed, but patches have introduced as well as fixed a few bugs. There are still places where collectibles are unreachable and a couple of tombs can get sims outright stuck if one isn't careful.

From a "stuff" perspective, World Adventures has more than anything that has come since. But I do have some reservations about the lack of replay value. It was a great deal when it first came out. However I would probably recommend University or Into the Future first.

The Ambitions expansion pack is mostly about alternative money-making professions in your home town. The five Ambitions professions are different from the traditional careers in that your sim will not disappear in a rabbithole when on the clock. So you can actually watch and work with your sim on the job. Sculpting and inventing provide more ways to make money as a hobby or as a self employed sim. The consignment store and official self employment also improve the earnings and quality of life for any do-it-yourself sim including painters, writers, gardeners, fishers, nectar makers (from World Ambitions), sculptors, and inventors.

Pros:
    * Lots of interesting ways to make money and make more money.
    * Laundry first introduced with this expansion pack helps keep sims happier.
    * A new home town to explore and live in.

Cons:
    * Professions require a lot of attention to do well.
    * Twinbrook's lots are a lot smaller on average than those of Sunset Valley or Riverview. Unroutable terrain makes adding large lots very difficult.

The weirder thing about Ambitions is that a coulpe of the best features were re-introduced in later expansion and stuff packs. So someone who has either Supernatural or Into the Future (consignment stores) combined with any of Town Life Stuff, University, or a Laundry set from the Sims 3 Store (for laundry) would have most of the better Ambitions content already. But I would admit, buying Ambitions would be a lot cheaper than buying two expansion or stuff packs.
  • Well... You probably won't see my comment being this thread is 5 years old now! But... Yeah, it's worth it! I mean maybe not for me! But yeah it's worth it for you! So...
  • I'd be a bad one to answer the either/or question. I own all EPs and SPs but at the moment I only have Ambitions and WA installed. They are two of my favorites. If pushed to give an answer Ambitions would have a slight edge for me.
  • Yes! I have ambitions and its awesome! Get ambitions if you want more jobs,and world adventures if you puzzles and travelling! :mrgreen:
  • They're both fun! I have both of them. Ambitions just gives more jobs, and new towns, hairstyles, and etc. It makes the game more realistic. You can be so many different things. I just got World Adventures but I like it a lot so far. You can travel and, well, go on adventures. It also comes with hairstyles, clothes, and etc...It really just depends on what you are more interested in.
  • I prefer Ambitions. I love the jobs. The Firefighter, the Private Eye and the Doctor (expanded from original) are a lot of fun. Plus you get earthquakes with firefighter, though they only seem to occur when your Sim is like level 9 or 10 on the firefighter career.

I would not pay over $10 USD for either one though. There are so many sales now you can get them for that or less. I got both EPs for $10 each.
  • The Ghost Hunter career that came with Ambitions is one of my favorite careers. Bear in mind though it is hard to do the Ambitions careers if you have large households. It requires that you *direct* your sims to do their profession.

I also enjoy World Adventures.
  • Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/946943/necroposting#latest

~EA_Joz