Forum Discussion

15 years ago

Masterpiece (almost) Impossible?

My sim wants to sculpt a masterpiece sculpture, but no matter how many times I make one, she never get one. She is lvl 10 in sculpting, has the Artisan crafter Lifetime Wish, and out of about 50 sculptures, only one came out a masterpiece, and only 4 brilliant. She does not have the trait Savvy Sculptor. Is it just me, or is the odds REALLY against me?! :?
  • Looking at the xml there's a 20% chance of sculpting brilliant and a 35% chance that the brilliant sculpture will turn out to be a masterpiece.

So it seems like a 7% chance. There are no other factors in the xml but that's not to say what's in the actual code. Xml is just the tweakable factors.

There is a lot of documentation about Values of sculptures but I can't tell if a high value sculpture would turn out to be brilliant and thus maybe a masterpiece, since both brilliant and masterpiece raise the value.

I guess the question is how many hours should a sim work on a 5750 point wish... Or less I guess if they are not ambitious.

Nancy
  • It took my savvy sculptor making the same thing 10-20 times to get it to masterpiece. I assume that like cooking, the more they make it, the better it gets.
  • DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:
    It took my savvy sculptor making the same thing 10-20 times to get it to masterpiece. I assume that like cooking, the more they make it, the better it gets.

Compared to painting, isn't that a bit much?
  • It's also 3 dimensional sculpting, more work thatn 2D painting. So it seems right to me. I mean you could probably draw or paint a picture of a model airplane a lot fater than you could buiild that same airplane given only square sheets of EPP Foam which you had to measuer, cut, bend and form into that airplane in 3D. Simes start with sqaure blocks of whatever material, same thing, it takes more to make it than to paint it.
  • First skill has to be maxed, then you keep doing the same thing in the same material until you get it.
  • There's a fundamental difference in how painting and sculpting are implemented in the Sims.

In Painting, you paint, and it doesn't matter what you paint, with the right skill and traits, you get a masterpiece. Big, small, genius, sim, anything can be a masterpiece.

With sculpting, you have a hidden "experience" counter with each PIECE, not material. The material only affects the time and cost, not the quality. The quality is affected by how many times you've made that specific piece.

I don't know what the counter is, but my guess is that it's around 10 or so. I made 3 masterpieces in a row with this once I hit around 10 so I think that's close enough.

If you just randomly sculpt, you'll spread your experience around and very likely never see a masterpiece as there's almost 100 unique pieces (not including materials).

Pick a piece (I chose a specific chair, because I wanted to furnish my house with them), and make it over and over, in clay (cheapest). The more you make it, the more valuable it will be, and eventually you'll start cranking out masterpiece chairs. Just that chair, if you start working on something else, it won't be a masterpiece unless you've made a bunch of it as well.

They're different skills with different paths.
  • I've made at least 3 masterpieces and quite a lot of brilliants, my sim isn't a savvy sculpter.
    But I do practice with 1 particular statue most of the time.

I then made a savvy sculpter sim who will never age as it seems to take ages to get all the different sculptures. I always feed him ambrosia when he's hungry.
    EA_Lanna
    Icon for Community Manager rankCommunity Manager
    Hi @NancyS786, I apprecaite the interest in this topic but this thread was last active over 8 years ago in 2010 so it is a really old thread. Necroposting is against our forum rules and just something to be mindful of ^^ I'll pop the forum rule on necroing below but if you have questions surrounding necroposting please review this thread HERE and feel free to post in there.
    Don’ts
    Doing something on this list often can get you suspended, or sometimes even banned.
    Necropost. Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old.

I know as a new user this may limit some discussions for you but if there is a topic you'd like to discuss and you can't locate an existing active thread on that topic, please reach out to me and we'll aim to help however we can within the forum rules :)