Forum Discussion

KevinL5275
Seasoned Rookie
2 years ago

Need help building stairs

I'm trying to update Isla Paradiso school as needed for this mod:
https://modthesims.info/d/568897/additional-entry-and-exit-routing-slots-to-reduce-door-crowding-schools-university.html

However, I cannot get the stairs to connect to the platform. It tells me it can't build thru a fence, or that it can't level the terrain. Can anyone help?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52826851698_17e791b3e6_c.jpg

I was able to edit the back entrance stairs, but the front entrance is giving me issues.
  • Hmm… looks to me like the floor tiles at the ground level in front might be the problem. Also you might need extra tiles for the stairs to work at the front. I think try deleting 5 or more rows of tiles from the ground level first to see if the stairs work with just this step.

If not, once enough ground level tiles are removed you should be able to add foundation to create the extra higher level tiles to place the stairs. You can always add back the tiles after placing the stairs.

Hope that works for you. Good luck @KevinL5275
    KevinL5275
    Seasoned Rookie
    Hi @soocoolsim ! I clicked the "flatten lot" tool after removing the tiles, but did not use the leveling tool. After reloading my previous save and editing the school again by removing the existing ground tiles, I was able to rebuild the stairs so it works. The kids go to school correctly now and I am happy, even if it looks a little weird. :) What does the constrainfloorelevation tool do, though? Thank you!

Edit: I found this for explaining CFE: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=9065.0
  • It's probably a problem with the rabbithole positioning. Make a backup save, then delete the whole building, fix the stairs and then put the building back from Community Objects in build mode. You might have to use the moveobjects on cheat to get it in place.
    KevinL5275
    Seasoned Rookie
    No such luck, I removed the building and was able to add one row of tiles, but when I put the building back it was no better than before.

Strangely, I am able to add stairs on the left and right side of this platform, but not the front. :(
  • Well, nertz.
    Did you check buydebug and see if there was a spawner there or something?
    KevinL5275
    Seasoned Rookie
    No, I did not try buy debug to see if there's a blocking spawner.

I've tried to flatten those tiles, and the whole lot itself with no luck. Still wont place stairs. I cannot grab the foundation and extend it to add extra tiles, it gives me the same message about "cannot flatten the terrain." It *will* let me add tiles and extend the foundation to the left and right, though.

I am using the fixed version of Isla Paradiso, if that matters.

KevinL5275
    Seasoned Rookie
    Thank you for those suggestions, we're on the right track now. I deleted the ground tiles, but I was still unable to drag the existing foundation out further. But, I was able to place more tiles and place stairs one group at at time. I tried adjusting the slider to place multiple stairs at once but that did not work. But this did! This is the main entrance to the school that most of the children try to use, so I am determined to figure this out. Some students will try other entrances and they work fine, but some will just give up and run off, skipping school.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52845456846_e706b79e61_k.jpg

Unfortunately after this the game crashed out of memory when I tried to save. But now I know I can at least do this and it works! Thank you all so much! :mrgreen: <3
  • Your stairs and tiles don’t seem to be level so perhaps why you couldnt create several at a time.

A good option might be to start again from scratch and level the whole lot with the level tool from front to back before placing the rabbit hole or any tiles.

I find levelling a lot from front to back before building is a general useful best practice - unless I’m deliberately working with hilly terrain. You can always smooth out the edges of the lot to match the surrounding terrain.
  • If you don’t want to start from scratch, you could remove the stairs and level at least the existing tiles on the top with CFE enabled then add back the stairs. Turn off CFE once done.