Forum Discussion

texansky
Seasoned Traveler
3 years ago

Rebuild the World Challenge

@Evalen and anyone interested in trying the Rebuild the World Challenge, feel free to comment and document your journeys below.

I am playing around with the Rebuild the World Challenge v 2.0 (click the link for rules). @angelbearpuppy modified it a bit from the original.

The Lynn Legacy
Part 1
(I decided to give my posts a title.)

I decided to play in Glenvale County, as it has only the basic community lots and a single house. Rflong7 created Glenvale County and it is available in their studio. You can click the link above to go directly to their world on the Exchange. 

After saving all of the community lots in the world into the library and writing down the address locations of each lot, I bulldozed everything in Glenvale County, except Horseshoe Pond, Central Park, and Azalea Acres Community Garden. I edited the park and removed the bathrooms, the street lights, and the post lights on the walls. I removed everything man-made except the swingsets, which I changed to be completely rusted. Yes, I deleted the statue! 😉

I also edited Azalea Acres to remove the fencing, borders on the garden beds, and the structure at the entrance.

I added the Pick 'n Pull Junkyard next to Azalea Acres and put a 64x64 lot across the street.

Here is a shot of the area I am playing in. The house is in the foreground with the junkyard next and the garden in the background.

In the other direction is the modified central park.

Sorry for the bad pictures, there is rain and fog a lot in my game right now. The apocalypse really messed up the weather, or the world is trying to heal itself.

I created the following Sims and placed them on the large lot. None of them were related.
Greta Goodrich, a female young adult
Daniel Churchill, a male child
Teri Lynn, a female child

The first thing I did was create a small basement in the back left of the lot with a bed, sink, toilet, shower, mini-fridge, large recycle bin, and small trash can. Here are the temporary accommodations for Greta Goodrich. (I forgot to get pictures of her actually in her home. She starved to death shortly after Teri and Daniel became teenagers. I placed her grave marker in the far back of the lot until I can place the cemetery.)

NOTE: I used "moveobjects on" to place her into this space as I will not be controlling her at all. I had initially added a ladder and had her climb down and removed the ladder, but that left a square hole in the ground. I didn't like that, so I redid it without a ladder.

Then I created another basement near the front of the lot and added a ladder.

I built a 3x3 entryway around the ladder and added a door.

Sleeping area:

Kitchen area with a pull-up bar on the right wall:

Skills area with a chess table and chemistry station:

I discovered I had to put the toilet and shower in a separate room so they would have privacy. Otherwise, they had to go outside whenever the other one needed to use the facilities.

I set their aging on medium, so they were only children for four days. As children, all they could do was fish, dig through the junk piles in the junkyard, play chess, and play with the block table. They couldn't gather seeds or plant them, and couldn't harvest the community garden. Because children are not allowed to pay the bills, I was able to choose to pay bills now for the first bill, but I didn't get the option for the second bill. So the repo man came and took away all of my trash cans in both basements. :lol:

I am on Week 2, Day 6 right now, so I already have a garden planted and growing, and have purchased a telescope for them to view the night sky, as well as an easel for painting. I also had really old rusty bicycles in my first attempt at playing, but they wouldn't use them with all routing turned off in the Traffic mod, and if it's turned on, there are vehicles in town, which is a deal-breaker for me. This is why I put all the lots within walking distance of one another for now until they have the "knowledge" to fix up a car to drive. So I started over with the game as you see it here.

The most tedious part of this journey so far has been using Stylist to change all their clothing to simple styles in whites, grays, and browns. I did it on all three Sims at the beginning of the game, and again for Daniel and Teri when they became teenagers. I'm not looking forward to doing it again, so I am hoping most of the clothing will remain as young adults.

Teri and Daniel will be aging up to young adults this afternoon game-time. I'm not sure if they will get pregnant right away, or wait until I am able to place a grocery store. Teri is almost level 8 in gardening and Daniel just reached level 8 in fishing.

Pictures of my founding couple as teenagers are below.

Daniel Churchill:

Teri Lynn:

* edited to add a title