Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Sims 3 crashes in create a sim

My game crashes whenever I get into create a sim. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M. It didn't crash the first time I used it but afterwards it seems to crash and the rest of the game can run fine on high settings so I'm not sure if it's a graphical issue.
  • Did you add the game to Nvidia control panel and are you using Vsync to cap your FPS to your monitor refresh rate? This game has no fps limiter , it can run your fps way to high and cause the game to crash . It can also overheat your card. Since you have a laptop , you hqve two video cards. Are you sure the game is using Nvdia not intel?

If that is not your issue, have you downloaded any 3rd party CC or anything from the exchange recently? Bad CC can cause game issues.
  • Your DeviceConfig.log, it's a file in your TS3 user game folder, will tell us which card the game is reaching for on startup. It may show up as just DeviceConfig. If you want, you could PM it to me by copy/paste, just the first 40 lines or so. Not the long lists of game options that follow.
  • I have the game added to the nvidia control panel and I used vsync and triple buffering along with the fps limit in nvidia inspector to limit it to 60 I didn't know my laptop had two video cards and I do not have any third party cc or anything from the exchange. What should I do?
  • Is there any way I can check to make to see whether or not it is using the right card and what should i do depending on each situation?
  • I just want to say thank you so much for helping me with all the problems I have been having. It really means a lot. Oh and here's the log

Removed it because I didn't know what a PM was.
  • A PM is a Private Message.

The game is using the correct card, it's just not recognized officially. I will send you instructions on how to make that happen. Not on an open channel because those tend to confuse players who have different card models.

The only other thing I see is that your computer is using over 5 GB of RAM doing something else when the game starts up. Although you have plenty, that still quite a lot. I would suggest not running browsers or heavy duty programs while starting up the game so it can get all of the resources it can at that stage.