Forum Discussion

wolfkomoki1
Seasoned Novice
4 years ago

Why isn't PC getting 64-Bit?

Why are Mac users the only ones getting 64-Bit? Windows users want 64Bit too!
  • Windows isn't getting a 64-bit update because the 32-bit version of Sims 3 still works in all versions of Windows. The 32-bit version of Sims 3 does not run, at all, in Catalina, the current version of macOS—it won't even install, and if it were already installed, it wouldn't open. The same is and will be true for all future versions of macOS.

Of course Windows users would very much like to have a 64-bit update too, but from EA's perspective, the work to make it happen isn't strictly necessary (as it is for macOS), and so the cost may not be worth the benefit. After all, people can and still do buy and install Sims 3 in Windows even now. We can always hope EA decides to do it anyway, but there's no indication that it's happening any time soon.
    Cororon
    Seasoned Rookie
    According to this tweet: https://twitter.com/simularsimmer/status/1306081639014031361 they are working on a 64-bit version of Sims 3 for both PC and Mac.

"EA Prashant: Now, I would like to inform you that yes our team are in the process of releasing the The sims 3 64 bit for PC and mac however it's tough to share any exact timeframe."

I hope this is true, and also that it be installed as a separate game, so it doesn't delete or disable the old 32-bit version already installed.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It's good that the Mac simmers get if first, because many of them need it.
    NikkeiSimmer
    Rising Adventurer
    Considering that the Mac players weren't able to play the game and had to sit on the sidelines for the past year while we Windows users still got to play our game, I don't begrudge the Mac users getting 64bit first at all; not one bit.

Now that they're back in the game, I want to see tons of screenshots from that camp.
  • @Cororon - I'm afraid that entire tweet and subsequent YouTube fuss over it have been discredited. If that did come from a customer support agent, they were either mistaken or misinformed. There are no "announced" plans for a 64-bit Windows version currently.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9650249#M8717
    Cororon
    Seasoned Rookie
    "igazor;c-17705807" wrote:
    @Cororon - I'm afraid that entire tweet and subsequent YouTube fuss over it have been discredited. If that did come from a customer support agent, they were either mistaken or misinformed. There are no "announced" plans for a 64-bit Windows version currently.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9650249#M8717

Yeah, maybe he misspoke or revealed it too early. Sims 3 works on Windows, but it would be nice to get rid of those out-of-RAM related errors. It's still a very popular game, and most of us have plenty of RAM these days.

The "We are not doing a Windows update at this time. We have not announced any plans to do so." isn't a definite "NO". :tongue:
  • "izecson;c-17706286" wrote:
    "Sharonia;c-17706275" wrote:
    Is the update not going to happen for windows?

They only said they have no plan for Windows version at the moment.

Aww okay. Well I hope it will happen eventually. I don't know how bad the lag gets with more packs but I know a lot of people were hoping for this update.
  • "Sharonia;c-17706275" wrote:

• "Sharonia;c-17707237" wrote:
    "izecson;c-17706286" wrote:
    "Sharonia;c-17706275" wrote:

Aww okay. Well I hope it will happen eventually. I don't know how bad the lag gets with more packs but I know a lot of people were hoping for this update.

I have no lags at the moments and I have all packs installed except Katy perry stuff and movie stuff. If you have equal or better pc spec than mine I guess it's perfectly safe, but im playing on a player made world now where the routing is optimized.

My spec is ryzen 3 3300x, gtx 1660 super and 16gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz
    NikkeiSimmer
    Rising Adventurer
    I'm running all expansion packs and one stuff pack off a Vivobook, settings at mid-range; high on sims and the lag is tolerable, but then again, I'm 50yo and I guess my patience level is a lot higher...except when my anti-virus kicks on and shuts practically all motion and interactions down to a crawl.

Keeping fingers crossed on getting a solid gaming PC capable of running FS2020 and be able to play Sims 3 off that...

...eventually... :neutral: