Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Diversity and depth for Sims.

I read a lot of people complain about Sims having not much to do. But new activities, skills, careers and so on are added with every new pack.
New Clothing and accessories are as well, but they don't do much about how different Sims are from each other.

In order to make each Sim more unique, I would like to suggest a few things.

- Likes and Dislikes.
Allow us to decide what the sim likes and what he or she dislikes. For Example: Haircolors, Colors in general, Food types, Radio Stations, TV channels, Movies... you get it? If you allow for 3 likes and 3 dislikes, that is already an improvement. More is of course welcome. The Sim should have emotional reactions to those things.

- Zodiac signs, culture and main hand.
Allow us to pick a zodiac sign for our Sims that is separate from traits and affects certain things in his life.
Also, we should be able to pick a culture to have our sims behave accordingly. What should I do if I want a sim to eat with chopsticks instead of a fork and bow down instead of waving the hand? With that, I would just pick the Eastern culture. With Eastern culture, A sim would act like how it is common and polite in china and japan. There would also be Western and Middleeastern culture selectable.
And I would like to decide if my Sim is a lefty, a righty or can use both hands equally. (Forgot the Therm for it)

- CAS Options.
Clothing and Hairstyles are well and good. Keep them coming. But also...
Add Body Hair. People have hair on their arms, their legs, their backs and chests.
Maybe different hights? I am aware that adding hight differences makes it difficult to animate stuff, and you would have to recreate each animation for every hight and perhaps more, but it would make Sims more diverse. It could be 3 buttons instead of a slider as a compromise.
I would also like more walkstyles that are less exagurated. I am alsowaiting for a limbing walkstyle.
Also, the walkstyles should affect the way a Sim stands, sits, dances and more...
More Traits are a must.

The Gender Patch was a good thing, even though I was a bit angry because it broke mods.
I think those additions would make the sim world and the sims much more alive.
  • "Movotti;c-16227787" wrote:
    "Armilus616;d-931757" wrote:
    Also, we should be able to pick a culture to have our sims behave accordingly. What should I do if I want a sim to eat with chopsticks instead of a fork and bow down instead of waving the hand? With that, I would just pick the Eastern culture. With Eastern culture, A sim would act like how it is common and polite in china and japan. There would also be Western and Middleeastern culture selectable.

I kind of like this idea, but I kind of want it a little different.
    Rather than 'pick a culture', it might be better to 'pick cultural traits'

Eg.
    Greetings:

• raise arm to wave
    • raise hand in fingerwave
    • nod head
    • slight bow

Eating:

• Use knife and fork
    • Place napkin on lap, use knife and fork
    • Use knife and fingers
    • Use chopsticks

Greeting friends/family:

• Handshake
    • Hug
    • Cheek kiss

I actually like that better than my original suggestion. Maybe add "Overall behaviour" with traits like "Overly Polite" (Constantly apologizeing for no reason at all, prefering friendly options more often, even with the mean trait, although not as often as without the mean trait, be offended when a stranger tells a joke) "Polite" (Current basegame Sim behaviour) "impolite" (be a bit less offended by mean interactions, use mischivious and funny interactions more often, be a bit confused by polite interactions) "Rude" (use mischivious and mean interactions frequently even with the friendly trait, react positively to several mean interactions and even have mean and mischivious interactions in the friendly menu)

Therefore, there would several ways to talk and socialize in a culture. Culture would come first, and traits after that. When two members of the same culture talk to each other, socializeing should work perfectly as we have it, but when someone from a rude culture talks with someone overly polite culture, the one with the rude culture is constantly confused and the one with the overly polite culture constantly offended.
    (There are cultures where it is considered rude to tell jokes to people who are not close friends or family, and there are cultures where it is considered normal and even funny to insult the mother of the one you talk to, even if you first meet him. Yes, in real life. I am as confused about that as some of you probably are)
    Also, some friendly interactions should be considered (and marked) as polite.

And I would like to decide if my Sim is a lefty, a righty or can use both hands equally. (Forgot the Therm for it)
    Ambidextrous

Thank you.

- CAS Options.
    Clothing and Hairstyles are well and good. Keep them coming.
    I'd like them to be sorted a little better, especially the womens hair styles. They need not just the lengths sorted, but also up styles separated from the down styles.

Maybe different hights? I am aware that adding hight differences makes it difficult to animate stuff, and you would have to recreate each animation for every hight and perhaps more,
    Therein lies the trouble with more height variety. The amount of effort that would have to go into redoing all the animations is about equivalent to a whole game pack. Do people really want height variety so much that they'd be willing to give up new gameplay content?

I don't, but I can't speak for others. It was a maybe, as you have probably seen. The Slider many people are demanding on several forums is deffinitely too much. the 3 buttons for 3 hights was a suggestion for something in between slider and nothing at all.
    I wouldn't have a problem if that never makes its way to Sims 4, but maybe it gives them an Idea for Sims 5.

Also, the walkstyles should affect the way a Sim stands, sits, dances and more...
    This is true.

Speaking of dancing, there needs to be more dance styles, like dancing with a partner, dancing while facing your group of friends.
    Dancing with a partner could be as simple as just moving to the music, one with the arms on the shoulders of the other, the other with their arms around the waist of their partner, almost like a bad attempt at slow dancing. Or it could be a bit of bump and grind, like previous versions of the game had.

I agree.
    ck213
    Seasoned Scout
    EA should bring back interests from the Sims 2.
    I loved that feature and wished the at impact was amped up a little bit more.

This quote from The Sims 2 Wiki explains it:
    Spoiler
    Interest Basics

There are 18 interests in The Sims 2.

Animals
    Crime
    Culture
    Entertainment
    Environment
    Fashion
    Food
    Health
    Money
    Paranormal
    Politics
    School
    Sci-Fi
    Sports
    Toys
    Travel
    Weather
    Work

These interests have five icons each. Each of these icons are displayed in the interests section of the simology panel. Interests are important in relationships because of the Chat interaction. If you want to make friends, this interaction will most likely make up the bulk of your efforts. Other friendly interactions may raise relationships at first but they weaken in strength after each time you do that social. When sims chat, they randomly choose an interest and display one of it's icons. High level interests are more likely to be chosen as the topic. How the sim responds depends on the gap in level of interest. A small gap in that level will give 5 daily, a medium gap will give 2, and a large gap will subtract 1 point. This is why it is easier to build a friendship with sims of similar interests.

As a strategy, you can check each sims interests in their simology panels. For visitors, you can go into their houses and check there. For NPCs you'll just have to guess, although Nightlife comes with the Ask...What are your interests? social. When you've recorded their interests, initiate a conversation. You can then control what topics they talk about by clicking on your sim and selecting Change Topic
    Changing Interests

There are two ways to change interests in The Sims 2.

Magazines. Each magazine can increase your sims interest in three topics. Note that when interest in one topic is increased, your sims will lose interest in another topic. Sims cannot have maximum interest in all topics.
    Sharing Interests. Sims can gain interest from other sims with the Talk…Share Interests interaction. However, the interest is random and out of your control. Like in magazines, sims will lose interest in one topic and gain interest in another.

I love that there were ways to influence what your sim's were interested in and that these interest showed up in chatting socials and influence relationships. It should be added to TS4 and give even more depth.
  • I want to see both mental and physical disabilities, Mental illnesses, More traits, more styles of hair, color wheel for clothes, etc and I love all your ideas as well
  • "Sassycotton;c-16253591" wrote:
    I want to see both mental and physical disabilities, Mental illnesses, More traits, more styles of hair, color wheel for clothes, etc and I love all your ideas as well

Like I said elsewhere a former staff member consider it to be lobbying... (I don't know about any of the current "staff" aka EA_(name) ) I do know SimGuruDrake is fine with asking for it.
  • "Sassycotton;c-16255069" wrote:
    Where do I find them on here?

Well they would be the members with SimGuru before their usernames and they have the role 'Sim Guru' here on the forum.