Forum Discussion

Cybersbe
Seasoned Newcomer
3 years ago

Gameplay Idea: Fatal Flaws

I was thinking about how they introduced the concept of "Lot Challenges" in Cottage Living. And I figured, why not have something similar for our playable sims?

My idea is basically optional traits (separate from the main traits you can give sims) that have NO beneficial effect. Not even mixed traits like Gloomy (creative boosts when sad) or socially awkward (can gain powerful moodlets and sentiments by overcoming their slow charisma gain and making friends). My idea is for fatal flaws to be entirely negative. Though I have thought of the idea of there being essentially an Aspiration-esque path associated with each flaw, where the reward is having the flaw removed. Also, part of my idea derives from the Wants and Fears system. With Sims being prone to developing fears associated with their fatal flaw.

The concepts I've had so far:

Kitchen Disaster: A bad cook who gains cooking skill at a slower rate, generally produces poor quality meals, and is very prone to starting fires. (Thus is prone to developing a Fear of Fire.)

Socially Insecure: This sim isn't just nervous around others, but outright terrified. Furthermore, they are worried about the friends they have leaving them. Gains charisma at a slower rate, and often develops fears of Being Judged, Being Cheated On, and Crowded Places. Will not gain the positive moodlets sentiments that Socially Awkward does. (In fact, in they ever have a negative interaction with a friend, they'll gain strong scared and/or sad moodlets.)

Easily Spooked: Terrified of spooky stuff. Gets scared moodlets when talking to Ghosts, Vampires, and Werewolves. Will develop Fears of Ghosts and the Dark.

Can't Swim: (Note: For obvious reasons, I imagine this flaw coming with a system to save drowning sims) This sim is helpless in the water. Unless using some kind of flotation device, they have a chance to start drowning at random when in water. And even then, they will swim at the slowest possible speed, regardless of fitness. Obviously, Fear of Swimming is the fear this flaw is prone to developing.
  • Some creative ideas, however i feel like they would be detrimental to the experience of the gameplay, I mean they would be a cause to get frustrated with the game or make the game tedious to deal with.
    Cybersbe
    Seasoned Newcomer
    "AlienTusks;c-18202313" wrote:
    Some creative ideas, however i feel like they would be detrimental to the experience of the gameplay, I mean they would be a cause to get frustrated with the game or make the game tedious to deal with.

Hence why I suggested they be optional. I basically imagined them to a Sim equivalent to Lot Challenges.