Forum Discussion

7 years ago

It's That Time Again... to Suggest Natural Disasters

Now that Seasons are available, I've been loving the summertime thunderstorms. I love how loud they are, how scary they are, and I love that one of my sims in particular is terrified of them. I love the risk of getting struck by lightning, of getting dirty when stepping in mud. That's the kind of stuff I always wanted! So far, Seasons is the one expansion that's been entirely worth every penny I paid for it, and it's my favorite one at this point in time.

With that said... it makes me hopeful for even worse storms. Tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis (and all the floods that come with them), intense blizzards and polar vortex. A hurricane could sweep over the coast of Brindleton Bay, while threats of tornadoes could loom over Newcrest and San Myshuno. Power outages, brownouts, blackouts, getting snowed in so much that you can't leave your house (and imagine that paired with a power outage. You might have to buy a fireplace!)-- all of which would be so incredibly immersive. Even more immersive would be in-game warnings associated with these storms. What if there was a storm warning radio station we could tune in to? What if we could check the weather on TV everyday, like we as humans do? What if we could hear actual sirens wailing in the distance as a severe weather threat approaches? What if we could get "holy crap a tornado might destroy my house" home insurance? What if there are lot items you could buy to help protect your home against the storms; to reduce the damage they might cause?

I've hoped and dreamed for a lot of things to be added to The Sims, but natural disasters is at the top of that list. To have actual danger in the game would make the game feel more alive. It would be a lot less predictable and more dynamic, and it would make me care a lot more for those virtual people I'm always tending to. Not only that, but the potential to lose a sim's home after I spent hours and hours building and decorating it... that, to me, is some pretty heavy commentary on modern society: that our endless pursuit for the perfect material possessions is a futile and wasteful effort, and that when it all comes down to it, the most precious possession we have is our lives. It just sometimes takes a giant cyclone to sweep it all away to remind us of that.

I don't ask for much, but I will actually beg for natural disasters to be added to the Sims 4, and hopefully in future iterations of the game.
  • Oh my god YES! Not sure about tsunamis though... I'm not too savvy about that kind of thing but I heard that fluid simulations are usually super hardcore to compute, and of course the more water there is, the laggier it gets. There might be a workaround though, I doubt it's in EA's plans to use hyper detailed, photorealistic fluid simulations since it's never been that way with water in the Sims series, I'm starting to imagine some weird things already haha. Anyway, it would be super cool and I hope there is a way to do that!

If such a thing was implemented I guess the probability of it happening would be no more than the probability for a meteor rain in the Sims 3? Especially if Sims can lose their entire family, their house and their lives in the process (I don't even think there was this much at stake in the Sims 3).
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    I think that would be an interesting feature but on an test basis first and if the engine is up to the task and a good way to use some of that built up fortune some been trying to decrease. :) However there are those that tend to be negative to such an idea but I like it.

• I think that would add a LOT to the gameplay! I know the rare earthquake in Sims 3 made gameplay with my firefighter sim really exciting. Just give us the option to turn it off when we want. Something that I would like to see with in-game natural disasters would be relief aid showing up! Have NPCs show up with food and supplies and even simoleons.