Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Just a little idea (part-time jobs)

This is just a little idea that has been swimming around in my head for quite a while and I figured, why not share it. Or maybe it is two ideas... anyhow.

As a simmer I don't really want my sims to have a career. Mostly because it becomes me staring at the screen until they come home. And active careers isn't always what I want either. Instead I often give them a creative pursuit. On the other hand cash can run a bit low for my simmers. Especially in the beginning. So this is the idea I had.

Part-time jobs/one-time gigs in a way similar to volunteering but with only one sim. The player would be able to choose from a few different activities that each pay a small amount of money (babysitting, moving stuff, help out at an event and so on). Higher skills increases the pay somewhat but it not a career so there is no ladder to climb. Each assignment last for a few hours and to work again the sim will have to do a new assignment. While teens are able to work part-time it often interferes with school work, I think it would be nice if they could be included and able to do an assignment as well.
Since it would work similar to the volunteering it wouldn't require any new animation and wouldn't require all that much coding to implement. Of course, it is only an idea.

I did mention that it might be two ideas... so, here goes. As I mentioned I prefer my sims to have creative pursuit over a career. But it is a bit boring to have them labelled as unemployed. So my thought is that it would be nice if it was possible to simply register a sim as a free-lancer or being self-employed. Again, no career ladder, no accomplishments and in this case no salary. Really, just a label other than unemployed.
  • I hope they unlock the current part-time jobs for Young Adults to Elders as well. (Just like in TS3)
  • That's an interesting idea I like it and would kinda nice for those who like to play with one or two sims and don't wanna wait hours for them to come home.

Writing and Painting already sort of have something like that. When they write a book or paint a picture Sims can choose to sell them for royalties when they've mastered the skill without the need for taking up the career. Weekly payouts for books, one time payout for painting. But it would be cool to have that same set up with other odd jobs. It would also make you feel like you're part of the community if, say, Bob Pancake calls asking if you wanna help him move stuff or Bella Goth asks if you'll babysit Alexander.

To make it feel less random your Sim should have to post a profile online or put up flyers around the cities saying they're a freelancer or something maybe?
  • I've been thinking this a lot lately, too. I'd love for my adult sims to be able to work part-time. Also the freelancer idea is brilliant, and SO in touch with the real world! I'm also a bit sad every time my sims ask my other, bakery-owning sim about his career and he says unemployed! A different label would be really nice.