Forum Discussion

3 years ago

More Creative Occult Types

Ever feel like you are buying the same content all over again. That's basically what Sims 4 has been for me. Without mods I'd have no interest in playing the game at all. I started off with Sims 1 as an elementary school student and I was in love with it. By Sims 3 the content started to feel repeated but they kept it interesting enough. Now, I'm basically just collected stuff so I have a complete game.

We’ve been seeing the same occults over and over: werewolves, vampires and witches. There have been a few new additions like mermaids, fairies, genies, ect. Nothing new has been created for the Sims 4. Though there are still a few creative options left. This is purely just my idea for a new occult type, but I'd like to elected superhuman sims for this. It's a fairly reasonable path to include superpowers. Like all occults this won’t be for all players, but I think it could be something hugely entertaining. Let me dig a little bit deeper into my ideas for such occults.

Deciding which superpowers to include becomes a very complicated process. We need to decide what the ‘core’ superpowers could be. So, let’s go with the top five superhero powers that have been around forever: flight, invisibility, shapeshifting, healing, super speed, super strength, elemental control, telekinesis, and mind control. Now, some of these are in a game in a way. Vampires have super speed and super strength so no problems there. There is that secret power that can be involved if you get struck by lightning, which is honestly amazing, so elemental control is possible but could be limiting as some aspect would require Seasons to work. Telekinesis that could get tricky with coding, but I know nothing about it so I can’t say much about hat aspect. We’ve seen flight with brooms in the past so that’s not a far stretch. Sims 4 already has mind control in some problems. The complicated one would be shapeshifting. This would be extremely tricky to code. You need limitations: like perhaps only other sims, or animals. A good limitation would be either to have them create the forms in CAS or they must copy existing sims/animals. These are just nine of them I could think of that are ‘core’ superpowers in my option.

A good inspiration for this kind of expansion, because these is way too big of a job to be a game pack, would be the Incredibles. I love this kind of movie for inspiration for the Sims for a lot of reasons. The movie features proper developmental stages of children. Where Jack-Jack is under the age of five so his powers can change and unpredictable. You have Violet and Dash who’s powers are more developed but still growing. Violet at the highest age of develop is exploring the full potential of her power. That’s about the best representation of adoslence in a nutshell. This is one aspect the Sims fails. Toddlers show no indication of their occult abilities and developmentally that makes no sense at all. What I would want to see is that toddlers’ powers could be anything and would randomly change with a pop-up notification. The parents could try to ‘influence’ the power the toddler would later develop into one of theirs or a combination of both parents. But parents could also allow them to ‘grow to be whoever they are’ and it would be random. Children’s powers are set in stone but still cannot be used fully and they malfunction if they try to use them. While a teenager’s powers are fully developed, but you can discover more minor abilities via a skills menu.

Now after that rant about the lack of understanding of child development in a gaming company let’s go into possible lore. I think borrowing ideas from the Incredibles would be a good fit for the Sims. Superpower sims were/are part of a government program that altered their DNA, so they have superhuman powers. This is a fantastic opportunity to allow people to change regular sims into superhuman ones. This would open new careers: superhero and supervillain. I would love to see teenagers being able to be sidekicks too. That would be honestly rather awesome to have because teenagers really don’t have that many activities or jobs.

This is 100% my opinion and rather unrelated to superpowers. What kind of world would work for this kind of expansion? This is one I think would be suited to have a unique world. This may be a bit of nostalgia on my end thinking back to the glory days of comic books and the setting for the Incredibles. But having it be a more vintage type of world would be amazing. By vintage I’ll be talking a world loosely set between the 1950s to 1970s. This would suit many players to be honest and with the growing game settings you could even turn off occults. Having a world without modern transportation or background would be a game changer for historical simmers. I love the Decades challenge, but the setting of the Sims ruins it for me. It would be neat if you could change the look for the cellphones, so they look like a landline phone instead. I would just like more customization when it comes to the phone and how we can travel. It’s so immersion breaking having to use a cellphone to travel in a Decades Challenge.

This allows for a vast range of CAS and Build & Buy. Some would be connected to superhumans alone like supersuits, a secret lair, and other out there type of things that more eccentric players enjoys. But also vintage style Build & Buy, which we have some but not enough to create a diverse vintage community. We have some vintage CAS but that could always use expanding: especial for teenagers, kids and toddlers. Teenagers are okay in most cases, but also don’t feel like teenagers to me.

How would you all feel about superhuman Sims? What other new occults would you add to the game?
  • First I want to see werewolves, then fairies, then permanent PlantSims, after that I am all for the new occult types.
  • "MilutinMujovic;c-18080620" wrote:
    First I want to see werewolves, then fairies, then permanent PlantSims, after that I am all for the new occult types.

I'd like to see them too. But, the way they have been producing occults would been anything new occult wise is way out there in the timeline. And I'm a bit sick of the traditional occult types. Fairies are okay for me but unless they get an massive update they felt rather lackluster to me.
    SEREFRAS
    Rising Hotshot
    I love the idea of superheroes with superpowers. My Bat couple, Orora Storm & other superhero sims don't have proper superhero powers.
    That being said, I want Fairies, Genies & Werewolves first before superheroes.
    cyncie
    Seasoned Veteran
    I’d consider superheroes a separate genre from fantasy/supernatural/magic. I’ve never been interested in comic book heroes much, so I certainly wouldn’t want them to replace more traditional folk legend, fantasy magic and supernatural types. I’m actually surprised that The Sims haven’t done a superhero theme, as popular as it is; although I feel that movies and TV are starting to over saturate that market quite a bit, these days.
  • If they added Vampirella from the planet Drakulon to the game as a playable NPC I would be a very happy camper. Actually there's enough lore in her comics alone to do an entire game pack. Sadly though I don't think her costume would pass muster.
  • I would love a comic book superhero pack. I wouldn't want a different species of occult Sim for that though. I would love it if the human Sim could gain abilities from science experiments, alien rocks, potions, magical objects, magic spells, etc.. Abilities like super strength, invisibility, invincibility, aqua powers, fire powers, telekinesis, flying, super speed, just classic comic book superhero stuff. That would be really fun and the toddlers would be so cute if they had powers to go with their superhero costumes. Maybe they will do a collab with Marvel or DC one day, since they did a Star Wars pack. Or just do their own superhero world, I would definitely love that! :smile:
  • "Elliandre;c-18081969" wrote:
    I would love a comic book superhero pack. I wouldn't want a different species of occult Sim for that though. I would love it if the human Sim could gain abilities from science experiments, alien rocks, potions, magical objects, magic spells, etc.. Abilities like super strength, invisibility, invincibility, aqua powers, fire powers, telekinesis, flying, super speed, just classic comic book superhero stuff. That would be really fun and the toddlers would be so cute if they had powers to go with their superhero costumes. Maybe they will do a collab with Marvel or DC one day, since they did a Star Wars pack. Or just do their own superhero world, I would definitely love that! :smile:

I'd honestly love this. Long as it wasn't a themed world like Star Wars. That really was disappointing. It felt more like a theme park without the rides then a gameplay experience. Sort of like Wizard's Quest.
  • "dg51829;c-18085957" wrote:
    "Elliandre;c-18081969" wrote:
    I would love a comic book superhero pack. I wouldn't want a different species of occult Sim for that though. I would love it if the human Sim could gain abilities from science experiments, alien rocks, potions, magical objects, magic spells, etc.. Abilities like super strength, invisibility, invincibility, aqua powers, fire powers, telekinesis, flying, super speed, just classic comic book superhero stuff. That would be really fun and the toddlers would be so cute if they had powers to go with their superhero costumes. Maybe they will do a collab with Marvel or DC one day, since they did a Star Wars pack. Or just do their own superhero world, I would definitely love that! :smile:

I'd honestly love this. Long as it wasn't a themed world like Star Wars. That really was disappointing. It felt more like a theme park without the rides then a gameplay experience. Sort of like Wizard's Quest.

@dg51829 I love the Star Wars pack haha, one of few I know. :lol: I agree with you though I would definitely want to play it with my regular Sims in all the worlds though and not have it limited to one place like that.

About The Sims 4 Creative Corner

Share screenshots, stories, builds, custom creations, mods, challenges, and funny moments in our Sims 4 Creative Corner.9,090 PostsLatest Activity: 12 days ago