Forum Discussion

Jooleeyuh
New Adventurer
11 months ago

Playable Homeless Sims

If developers could somehow untangle and create a way to sever the coding spaghetti that currently ties playable households to home lots, and we could then play as actual homeless sims...think of the possibilities, even beyond enhancing homeless and rags-to-riches challenges. We could customize the lives, careers and experiences of background characters without using cheats. We could manage townies' personal inventories. Humble townizens could be compelled by their Watcher to leave offerings to certain supervillainous God-Empresses (of which everyone has at least one per save...right?)...all without needing to take up precious real estate. What else would you all do if you could play as a Sim without a non-headcanonical home lot?
  • Technically speaking we can play homeless sims. Even if they buy the empty lot, they are still homeless unless we build them a house. But they are not easy to play without a house. I mean, if you want them to get a skill or a certain job position, then you need to be able to play them, increase their skills and what not. If not their own house, then someone else's house. With the upcoming For Rent EP, we might be able to make large apartment buildings with upto 48 sims (and even more if we use cheats), so we could possibly make tiny 1x1 apartments and park all these sims there and pretend that's their PO box not their apartment.
  • I have had "homeless sim" often. they have that empty lot , but no need to pay bills (if there are any) as what are they going to cut? Electricity from empty lot? :)
    Skilling at communitylots, with always welcome trait they can use other peoples homes as they wish..

Maybe freelancer career so no need to travel to that home lot every morning for going to work.
  • I know we can already pretend our Sims are homeless by placing them on a vacant lot and/or never actually having them visit their home lot. ;) I'm talking about being able to play Sims who are Not In World.
  • "Flikka_Flikka;c-18329213" wrote:
    I know we can already pretend our Sims are homeless by placing them on a vacant lot and/or never actually having them visit their home lot. ;) I'm talking about being able to play Sims who are Not In World.

Yes, but how do you play them? Will they not need access to a toilet, shower, shelter, food, etc. Anyway, I imagine all those homeless townies actually live in the shell buildings. We buy the lots so sims can have easy access to all they need, if they don't have that then they will need to go visit community lots and such. I think many simmers won't like the loading lots and such.
  • If EA wanted to this could easily be done by allowing visiting lots with sims not in world. You would be able to make changes to the sims appearance, career etc. without moving them into a lot.
  • The idea of EA endorsing homeless gameplay feels a bit icky. The life of irl homeless person is at its best misery. Most have substance abuse issues and mental health issues. I feel like EA doing that turns sad, disenfranchised and vulnerable people into a toy to be played with and that seems a bit inhuman. Forgive me but its too much for me.

• I think people are reading too much into the word "homeless." I'm just using the game's official term for Sims who don't reside on an in-game lot. Presumably, in most cases, "homeless" Sims have a home somewhere offscreen. All I'm saying is it could be useful if Sims were playable without needing to be tied to a lot.
  • if i find homeless sims in game my first order would be to find them homes to live as a player of course
  • I remember hearing certain NPC roles can only be filled by non-residential Sims (maybe that's a better term to use than "homeless?")--but that could be wrong.