Forum Discussion

6 years ago

The Sims 5: Personality System Revamp Suggestions

(These suggestions are targetted at The Sims 5 because it's probably too late for The Sims 4, and adding them to The Sims 4 would be such a drastic change that it would completely change the game.)

The traits system in its current form is very limiting. You choose from up to 3 predefined traits which have specific effects and you can't really customize them beyond that. There are other features for defining a Sim's personality (some new, some already included in TS4 or previous games) which, when used together, could replace "traits" altogether, making them redundant.

• A Sim's likes and dislikes could be chosen through a UI similar to creating a club in The Sims 4 Get Together, perhaps with the addition of being able to assign an emotion to an activity.
  • The Sims 3 had "Favourites" and The Sims 4 allows you to set preferences for weather (Seasons) and movie genres (Movie Hangout). This could be taken a step further by allowing the player to set emotions for features like TV stations, music stations, venue types and more.
  • The Sims 3 University Life had a "social groups" feature where there were three social groups - Jock, Nerd and Rebel - that Sims could fit into by performing activities and socializing with other Sims in the group. This would replace the effects traits have on how they react to the traits of other Sims. Perhaps they could function like clubs and holiday, where we could create our own and choose preferred activities for them, and set how well they get along with other groups.
  • The Sims 4 has weaknesses (Vampires) and fame quirks (Get Famous). These should be brought over to normal Sims in some way. The simplest would be to have the Sim gain aspiration points for accepting them, but I'm sure someone else can think of something better.
  • The Sims 4 Parenthood has Character Values. These could be brought back in a new way: where parts of a Sim's personality can gradually change over time by performing certain interactions.
  • Other parts of a Sim's personality, that don't fit in with character values (like how they respond to jokes, how much they like to flirt, etc.) could be set using a system similar to the personality system in The Sims 1 and 2.
  • The Sims 2 had Turn Ons and Turn Offs. These could be brought back, but also effect things other than romance, like how a Sim feels around certain age groups, etc.

By combining a bunch of other features - either the ones above or something just as good - you get a lot more control than with traits.
    RememberJoy
    Seasoned Novice
    Yes! Sims with more dimension is what we need!

Maybe instead of weaknesses sims would have to choose a fear or two. Right now all sims are afraid of storms unless they have the loves outdoor or storm chaser trait. But what if we could choose whether our sim is afraid of storms or not? It would make them feel more unique.

Maybe instead of traits we could have a slider between two extremes, say messy and neat. If nearer the messy side sims would tend to leave more messes, near the middle it would vary, near neat the sim would never leave messes and autonomously clean. Could have one for Good/Evil, Active/Lazy, Extrovert/Introvert, Cheerful/Grumpy, Hot-Headed/Peaceful, Romantic/Unflirty, etc.

I also thought about the possibility of choosing a core motive that would be a major influence on how your sim reacted to things. Maybe base them on the core motives found in the Enneagram; or at least bring some type of real life personality system into the game.

Saw another suggestion somewhere about including the alignments. We could choose to make out sim lawful good, chaotic neutral, etc.

Honestly hope personalities are improved in the sims 4. But if they don't, there are so many possibilities I hope the consider for future renditions.
  • great ideas @Zerbu how about adding to the list that trait fits the sims persona like for exemple neat sims rejects sims that are sloppy as well as feeling uncomfortable around slopy sims
  • I have to say that i want more traits as well as a emotions overhaul. There is a new mod going to be released that changed the emotions, and by the looks of it... Thats what i want, but i don't want as a mod, i don't use mods, i don't like installing them.
    About the traits, i need 5 slots, not 3. Also, they need to add positive traits as well as negative counterparts like "loves dogs" and "hates dogs", or "dislikes children" and "adores children".

"Zerbu;d-955441" wrote:
  • The Sims 4 has weaknesses (Vampires) and fame quirks (Get Famous). These should be brought over to normal Sims in some way. The simplest would be to have the Sim gain aspiration points for accepting them, but I'm sure someone else can think of something better.
    [

• Maybe the remaining 2 trait slots should be used only for negative traits like "Hot-Headed, Gloomy, Unflirty, Childish, Clumsy, Erratic, Glutton, Kleptomaniac, Lazy, Materialistic, etc..." as well as new ones to fit in a seven deadly sins style like:

- Greed: Depending on other traits, this Greed trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Materialistic" they will have a bigger a greater urgency to buy anything and everything, even useless things as "decoration" (no, it doesnt work like the kleptomaniac trait, their urgency wouldn't be filled by stealing, but spending their simoleons taking them to ruin.
    -Glutton becomes Gluttony: Depending on other traits, this Gluttony trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Foodi" they will eat will preparing the food leading to having less portions of food when ready. Other effects would be eating Spoiled Food without disgust.
    - Lust: Depending on the other traits this Lust trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Noncommittal", for example they will not have woohoo desire by their actual partner, only by other sims. Other effects would be a constant desire to do woohoo in several different places.
    - Sloth...
    - Wrath...
    - Envy...
    - Pride...
  • While i agree that combining the features mentioned here together would make the traits system redundant but it doesn't mean that traits should go away! We can still have Traits but as Presets for parts the revamped Personality system (depending on the trait). This way not every simmer is forced to take time fir their sims' personality and CC Traits can still exist!
  • "Karon;c-16953966" wrote:
    I have to say that i want more traits as well as a emotions overhaul. There is a new mod going to be released that changed the emotions, and by the looks of it... Thats what i want, but i don't want as a mod, i don't use mods, i don't like installing them.
    About the traits, i need 5 slots, not 3. Also, they need to add positive traits as well as negative counterparts like "loves dogs" and "hates dogs", or "dislikes children" and "adores children".

"Zerbu;d-955441" wrote:
    [

• Maybe the remaining 2 trait slots should be used only for negative traits like "Hot-Headed, Gloomy, Unflirty, Childish, Clumsy, Erratic, Glutton, Kleptomaniac, Lazy, Materialistic, etc..." as well as new ones to fit in a seven deadly sins style like:

- Greed: Depending on other traits, this Greed trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Materialistic" they will have a bigger a greater urgency to buy anything and everything, even useless things as "decoration" (no, it doesnt work like the kleptomaniac trait, their urgency wouldn't be filled by stealing, but spending their simoleons taking them to ruin.
    -Glutton becomes Gluttony: Depending on other traits, this Gluttony trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Foodi" they will eat will preparing the food leading to having less portions of food when ready. Other effects would be eating Spoiled Food without disgust.
    - Lust: Depending on the other traits this Lust trait can have different effects. If your sim has the trait "Noncommittal", for example they will not have woohoo desire by their actual partner, only by other sims. Other effects would be a constant desire to do woohoo in several different places.
    etc...

I returned just to point that i think the traits shouldn't be scrapped, actually they should be made better then they are now. In SIms 4 its the first time we are seeing the devs architect the packs to work combined instead of being solo packs like they used to be, so... I think that if the traits danced together, they would be more meaningful!