Forum Discussion

BroGodLico
Newcomer
2 days ago

Werewolf Expansion

I have seen and played the werewolf expansion and I am very unsatisfied with how little there is to do as a werewolf. Not being able to START your OWN PACK is disappointing. VAMPIRES have more everything and are over powered which sucks because the literature speaks of their conflict but when you see VAMPIRE powers they are O.P. and only with the VAMPIRE expansion can you use WOLFSBANE it’s disappointing. If anyone really understands the WEREWOLF v. VAMPIRE conflict seriously a claw from a WEREWOLF can kill a vampire which is one of the main reasons they have a conflict. I know Sims is against that though but WEREWOLVES get stronger and with time just like VAMPIRES and are able to resist the FULL MOON and at an ALPHA rank should be able to start their own PACKS, Also a skill like SIRE or BLOODLINE: would be good for a Progenitor(i.e the one who makes werewolves with the CURSE BITE giving more ways to teach and empower their members, ranks should have more authority over lesser ranks because that’s how Packs work). 

this is just few little things I have seen Mods even do (I don’t pay sims with Mods). It’s like the VAMPIRE expansion have way more features to it than WEREWOLF. 

SUPERHUMAN STRENGTH HAS 3 levels, Sunlight Resistance does too so it makes them even more powerful and then theres a concoction for them to walk in sunlight. This is weird but I like that idea because Progenitors can walk in sunlight because they are more powerful. WEREWOLVES should rank up to LYCAN when they achieve their Dormant Abilities cause Control over the Moon effects like they don’t lose control but become more powerful. 

I will end here but there is so much more I wanted to add.

comment or thoughts please.

EgonVM
    Seasoned Ace

Well, yeah, valid opinion.

The thing about the vampire and werewolf conflict is that the devs have made their own lore and encourages players to explore around Moonwood Mill to find lore pieces. I can't put spoilers there, but yeah, the reason is that it all started from Spellcasters.
    Plus, the werewolf legends vary from place to place. Even Hollywood movies have a somewhat inconsistent mainstream legend. To demonstrate it, I'll take a part of a little-known werewolf legend: in Estonia, one can become a werewolf by drinking rainwater from a wolf's pawprint and get cured of it by eating a piece of rye bread on the tip of a knife.

Plus not to mention, the main fear of werewolves killing vampires is the age rating rising. Plus, I play rotationally, so I myself wouldn't want a vampire get killed by a werewolf while I'm not playing with the vampire's household.

Agreed about packs. You can use clubs, but there are no club rules related to werewolf activities. Which is very disappointing.
    Plus thinking about how wolf packs are in real life, wouldn't a household of werewolves be called a pack? Anyway...

But yeah, I agree werewolves could have more. In fact, there are some points:

• Rampages are very underwhelming. So, you have a werewolf running around, howling, using some of werewolf abilities, and fighting? I get that it's completely losing control to animal instincts, but... Why can't they hunt? Why can't they be nicer to werewolf household members? And why do they become a huggable mascots to toddlers and children (I get it, age rating)?
    • Also, why can't sims interact with rampaging werewolves? I want my sims to do dumb decisions and have consequences!
    • Back to pack point, why are there no werewolf-related club activities?
    • I like that werewolf children and toddlers have more gameplay, but why can't children transform like in The Sims 3?
    • Why don't we have werewolf discovery system like with aliens? I'd like some werewolves hide the fact that they're a werewolf.
    • Sims can be born as Dormant Werewolves... That's an interesting concept... But why are there no failsafes to prevent hybrids? Why on earth can two Dormant Werewolves still have werewolf-vampire hybrid babies?

Besides that, it's a strong pack. At least in that time. But it could still benefit from some improvements though, I agree.

• Personally I rather like the pack. But we can all have different opinions.

positives

• the sims team did think about werewolf/vampire rivalry. They instantly dislike each other. There is lore about them being enemies which pop up messages if you read the books that come with the werewolf pack. Werewolves and vampires can duel each other (spellcasters can't for example). The details of werewolf-vampire rivalry differ between books, movies and lore in general. There is not one set version. So the devs were able to give it their own flavour by adding in spellcasters to the story. But all of this is in sims style of course, no explicit violence.
    • werewolves are flexible. You can make them overpowered if you want to by unlocking perks like lunar resistance, immortality or perks to quickly needs anywhere. But you don't have to play that way. If you don't want to unlock perks, you can play without as well. You can also pick and choose. For instance do you want to go for the more agressive perks like vicious howl or curse bearer or the more practical like wolf nap and personal grooming.
    • packs offer ranks to climb: omega, delta, beta and alfa. There is some progression and alfa is required for two of the aspirations. But ranks are only tied to the packs, not the werewolf abilities. This means simmers can choose if they want to play with a pack or not, independently from the werewolf perks they unlock. Werewolf ranks (pup, runt, prime, veteran, apex) determine the available perks. Those mark the progression of the power of individual werewolves.

negatives

• Only two default packs: well that is a downside. I would have loved if we could have the same freedom as we do with clubs.
    • no full transformation: It would have been great if they would have been able to become really wolf like, like the animal. Now we only have a humanoid wolf form.
    • only male body frames: this is one of my personal downsides. I know some simmers want them to look more wolf like but since they are stuck with very humanoid shaped bodies, I think a feminine frame should have been added as well

WOLFSBANE: This used to be part of the vampires pack but was patched into base game at the launch of werewolves. Any simmer, even the ones with only base game, have wolfsbane in their game. Unfortunatly there is no plant to harvest in base game, you only find those plants in forgotten hollow OR moonwood mill. But you can get on through seed packets and fishing with only base game.

I had a lot of fun with the pack, but then again I don't play the most agressive sims, both werewolves and other sims tend to be rather nice in my game. I think werewolves are some of the better occults in the game with useful perks but also some downsides you have to deal with, something spellcasters for example totally lack. The lore is consistent and has attention for the general theme of werewolves against vampires.

Redrogue60
    Seasoned Hotshot

I have mostly positive things to say there are a few things I wish were in the pack not just the Werewolves themselves. 

• I wish you could make your own pack
    • The muzzle could have been slightly longer and we could make them a bit more savage looking
    • The fur could have been a little more ragged rather than short haired 
    • I think they should have played up their sense of smell more 
    • I would have loved if they referenced "What We Do in the Shadows" that if a Werewolf "Shouts Forbidden Words" in front of other Werewolves they get admonished and you get the "We're Werewolves Not Swear Wolves" Moodlet 
    • With Crystal Creations I would have made sure that neither Werewolves nor Vampires could wear or hold objects made with Silver
    • Why do I feel that this pack  just screamed for a Forestry Service  Officer or Lumberjack Careers 
    • Quite a few people have been asking for Chopping Wood as an activity. If it were me I'd accommodate the m in this pack AND Outdoor Retreat. 
    • This would have been one of the packs where Fortune Tellers could have been introduced and it would have fit well (Best would have been Paranormal Stuff or the Upcoming Life & Death). I would have loved a Caravan Lot. Having one could have been a wonderful part of a "I'm cursed with lycanthropy and I don't know how to break it" kind of story telling and not just for Werewolves.  Not to mention all the other fun things they could do in Sims 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMrCXPCZAA&t=9s
    • I wish that great big metal box could have been a place that Sims could go before they change if they "trying to protect others from my curse" and you just see that box just get rocked. Kinda like items when Sims Woo Hoo but not as nice 
    • I wish they had added Deer, Raccoons, Skunk and an actual Wolf Pack out in the forested areas. Doing, Deer, Raccoon, Skunk and Wolf things. Sounding like they are supposed to sound and acting like they should act. I don't want NPC animals (with exception of the wolves) just be dogs or cats with another animals coat.  Personally I think the worlds just feel so empty or aimless. I would love just a few NPC animals I'm not really trying to become Snow White friendly with. If I do interact I would have loved to see Skunks spray unwise Sims or Pets. 
    • I would have added Studio Session artists recording "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon,  "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham, and Bad Moon Rising by CCR in Simlish because I think all the original artists are deceased. and just paid the estates the fair use royalties.  
    • I would have added the outfit Marsha wore in "The Howling" since I think they took a bit of inspiration from that film. Just for giggles I would have added a Little Red Riding Hood costume unlock if you have this pack.