Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Basements are making my head hurt :-(

Can anyone help please? I built a house for my Sims. Now I am trying to add a basement to the home and I can't seem to without it raising the terrain under the house. I am a mediocre builder at best, so I am hoping someone that actually knows how to use build mode can help me.

Thanks for any help
  • Hey, I have seen an arrow that was allowing to place cellars on specified height below ground, I can't put picture here, but it should be available in every room on -1 level similar as it's available on 0 level for foundations. Maybe it will help?
  • I've had this problem myself. It's a glitch that seems to have started after the terrain tools patch. Haven't checked if it's been reported or not yet. Anyway, I use this work-around: Instead of staying on the ground level and using the basement tool, go down one level to the first basement level and use the room tool (the second tool in the "walls" tool set, that makes a rectangular room). Make sure you have the grid (white squares) toggled on because I've found I can only use the room tool underground when the grid is visible for some reason. If you don't already know, you can toggle the grid on and off with the "G" key. Let me know if any of that was unclear.
  • Does your house have a foundation?

I think that is what makes the ground raise up whenever you put a basement (after the terrain update).
  • "Sigzy05;c-16890180" wrote:
    Does your house have a foundation?

I think that is what makes the ground raise up whenever you put a basement (after the terrain update).

Yeah, I had that issue when adding a basement to a house with a foundation that I'd downloaded (I like basements for stuff like workout rooms or extra bedrooms). I just tried to conceal the humps with shrubbery, but next time I'll try taking out the foundation, adding the basement, then put the foundation back in.
  • @stilljustme2 Can you take out a foundation without hurting the house above? Like it just...floats?
  • It basically just goes down to the bottom level, then you can adjust it back up -- I admit I haven't tried it since the terrain tool patch.
  • "Stormkeep;c-16890202" wrote:
    @stilljustme2 Can you take out a foundation without hurting the house above? Like it just...floats?

Just pull the house down until it hits the floor, with the arrow that appears inside of a room whenever it is selected, and the foundation disappears.
  • @Sigzy05 Oh, and then reverse it to put the foundation back...Man, Sims 4 keeps dazzling me with the simplicity of achieving things in build mode. So used to the older titles making things hard on me. Last time I wanted to add a basement stairs with a foundation I googled how to do it because I remember it being so hard...turns out I was remembering TS3. On the bright side, I found a super easy way to do it in TS3 as a result of that search....lol
  • "Stormkeep;c-16890223" wrote:
    @Sigzy05 Oh, and then reverse it to put the foundation back...Man, Sims 4 keeps dazzling me with the simplicity of achieving things in build mode. So used to the older titles making things hard on me. Last time I wanted to add a basement stairs with a foundation I googled how to do it because I remember it being so hard...turns out I was remembering TS3. On the bright side, I found a super easy way to do it in TS3 as a result of that search....lol

Wish I'd had that back in Sims 3 days -- I remember having to demolish almost half a house to add basements in some builds. I know people complain that building is too simplistic (though less so with the terrain tools) but I really appreciate the ease of adding basements to existing builds, particularly some of the base game builds. (I've done some remodels of Maxis builds like Oakenstead and others to add basements where possible -- I think I uploaded my Pique Hearth redo of which I'm particularly proud.)
  • Thanks everyone, I will try and see that works. I was able to use the smooth terrain tool so it didn't look as bad as it started out as.