Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Clones

Well I finally used the cloning machine on a sim despite having had GTW since release. It's actually really fun and I have had a few good chuckles from it.

Now, I get that a clone is an exact duplicate and so it makes sense that the clone is identical to the original sim, but it would have been good if the clone was allowed to somehow evolve their own set of traits over time.

Just an aside, the clone has actually got a festering grudge against the original sim in my game which has created some good gameplay opportunities.

I am now having to stop myself from filling my game with identical sims :grin:

Anyone else played with clones?
  • Some great posts here :)

I have got all sorts of ideas racing through my head now. Good job weekend is coming up!
    atreya33
    Seasoned Veteran
    "KyreRoen;c-18105718" wrote:
    "Atreya33;c-18105700" wrote:
    "KyreRoen;c-18105554" wrote:
    "simgirl1010;c-18105551" wrote:
    They will not, however, have any of the Skills of the original

I wonder how often these posts are updated. From my testing, they do retain skills. That said, it's likely an update to how cloning works, due to RoM's own clone-generation. Same with how the sales table works due to Eco, and how teleportation works now.

Does make me wish Maxis was more forthcoming about every feature they alter with each pack, including background ones.

This made me curious. What exactly has changed about sales tables and teleportation?

I have read somewhere that RoM clones are supposed to be temporary while get to work clones are permanent. Is that still true? So far the only 'clone' I played was one I created in CAS but after reading here, I want to try playing a real clone.

@Atreya33
    Sales tables used to draw in customers from the area, rather than doing so through spawn points. It was never guaranteed you'd make a sale, and there were multiple options (similar to the retail system). Now it's guaranteed you'll get at least one sale per group spawned, and there is only one option ("give sales pitch"). If the other options are still there, I haven't seen them lately.

Teleportation (Transportalate, Bat Form, and Mist Form) used to only be capable of getting you to places you could route to. Medi-portation (Spa Day) could get you even to places with obstructions, so long as there was somewhere to stand. Now all 4 work the same, with less restrictions for the Vampire and Spellcaster options.

RoM clones are still temporary, but (as before) can be made permanent if brought into the household (if I'm remembering correctly). What I mean by it having possibly changed the cloning system, is that perhaps the clone made through magic matches more closely to the original, than they used to with only GTW, hence a carrying-over of more attributes. It could also just be due to an update. Who knows with Maxis.

"imhappy;c-18105708" wrote:
    Summer Holiday cloned herself with the Get to Work marine. “Winter” Holiday is exactly the same as Summer, but has the “evil” trait. I gave her the anti-valentine aspiration. And she’s destroying the relationships of the men who dumped Summer.

Now that's some quality gameplay.

Those are interesting changes. Thank you for elaborating.
  • "imhappy;c-18105708" wrote:
    Summer Holiday cloned herself with the Get to Work marine. “Winter” Holiday is exactly the same as Summer, but has the “evil” trait. I gave her the anti-valentine aspiration. And she’s destroying the relationships of the men who dumped Summer.

This is brilliant @imhappy