Forum Discussion

Bakedpotatoe5
New Spectator
6 years ago

Do you still have hope?

Do you still have hope that the core issues with this game will be fixed or do you think this will never happen i’m talking about lack of personalities consequences and better working emotions
Please comment why you chose what you did
    Lonewolf1044
    Seasoned Spectator
    "Cinebar;c-17245526" wrote:
    "Cynna;c-17244184" wrote:
    "Cinebar;c-17243896" wrote:

A guru might have said it, they say so much, but IIRC it was Rachel and Lucy who said no they didn't. In one of their interviews about not doing a good job in selling the idea this is a different game and not part of the series. Then I think they went into how this is a sitcom, or maybe I have the two interviews mixed up, but I do recall Rachel and Lucy saying they didn't consult any psychologist.

That's incredibly disingenuous.

If they wanted to convey that TS4 wasn't a part of the series, they should have left off the '4'. Heck, leave off 'The Sims' as well. I mean, it's not that hard. However, "The Sims", followed by a number, is what has been selling this series for nearly twenty years. That's why they continued with the naming scheme -- because they knew that it would sell.

If EA had come out and told the truth that TS4 was a departure from the original series, it would have been a totally different ballgame.

They didn't say it wasn't part of the series, but that is how I took what they said to heart. They explained they had done a poor job in selling (explaning) to the fanbase TS4 is a different game and by that meaning don't expect it to be like the others in any way.

Sims 4 is definitely an different game and is not like the others but I believe it is different for different reasons especially when it came to performance and the means to heighten one's creativity through robust features which for me Sims 4 lacks.
  • I think it's too late. I wish they would but I think it's too far along that they have their sights set on other things. The lack of traits are pretty annoying.
  • It's okay though. I have fun in CAS. I think that part of the game is freaking brilliant.
  • "Uzone27;c-17275963" wrote:
    "darrenfroggy;c-17275938" wrote:
    @Felicity What I'm saying is that there are people who think and claim that what they're using is critical thinking: looking at something objectively and considering its good and bad points but what they're doing instead is nitpicking and finding the faults only. So they're not actually using critical thinking in the way you and I both define it.

The whole "winning" mentality isn't as strong here on the forums, I agree, though I do see signs of it at times, unfortunately. Maybe I'm a bit oversensitive to is since I had some rather epically bad experiences with it in the not-so-distant past. Some of it (for me) would be comments in the lines of "well, I know this is going to be bad" before we know anything about content that's coming. Along with "if X doesn't contain this thing, I'm not going to touch it" (paraphrasing here, obviously). But again, not as much of that on here as it would be elsewhere on social media.
    Another thing is when something gets added, like the staircase tool, and you'll see responses like "yeah but it's not spiral staircases so what's the point".

As for the TS5/Freeplay thing, I didn't mean that it would be a mobile game. I meant more the way content is added: challenges and events that require constant play and legitimately timers to be able to hit the right marks, the store that offers tiny overpriced bundles of items, etc. Basically microtransactions and an in-game currency that pushes people into spending way more money than they need to.

I do think the tablet option is a possibility though, considering how much they can handle nowadays and how gaming is evolving. It would be interesting for sure, though I'd kind of hope, instead of optimizing for that kinda use (touchscreen, significantly lower specs) that they'd bring *some* aspects to tablets and make it a bonus rather than a standalone platform for the whole game.

That's not your imagination.

Huh? What's not my imagination?
  • "JoAnne65;c-17276261" wrote:

If only the middle would be a safe spot ;) Nobody actually believes it’s exists, understanding and appreciating both sides or at least wanting to try. “If you’re not with me you’re against me” is a very popular idea in Polarization Land. Which makes the person in the middle the ‘enemy’ for both ends of the spectrum.
    *not just referring to Sims here

Yeah I am realizing that. No wonder coming into the internet can be like a war zone and why parents are scared to let kids be online. Thank goodness for friends both in the Sims community and out of it. It would be a very lonely life being in a bandwagon instead of forming valuable friendships. Yeah I remember how a Simmer pointed out the Sims community reflects the schism in society today. I had an interesting conversation with my family too how the default mood online is aggression. Even had interesting conversations with co-workers too before how they use social media to prove they are right on politics. One of my best friends who works in gaming said to another friend who asked why people hate her so much and why she kept losing friends and he put it simply, "Do you want to be right or do you want to loved because you can't have both?". I think people are just scared of change.

I know I was thinking Sims CM posting thinking of just the Sims 4 ended up being for the mobile division. I don't think there is any iteration where Simmers were ready to move onto the next iteration. To me I have been with the Sims games long enough that five years was always the norm with how long Sims games lasted. It is a concept that newer Simmers haven't experienced yet. So it is like ok Sims 4 has covered pretty much all the themes past iterations have covered and with many Simmers claiming they don't play or that game changers don't play occult, development seems done. So maybe it isn't hope I have lost but the realization that Sims 4 has run its course and done its 5 years. It is no longer a baby Sims game anymore. What is in there now is what we got and with performance issues maxing out on several computers, not like current players can handle more DLC on their computers anyways. With more DLC will come more bugs as Gurus have pointed out in interviews and of course will take up more memory on computers. I can run all 3 Sims games fine on my gaming rig, but learning majority cannot afford to. How much more DLC can they afford if their computer house is already maxed out? Why I hope the Sims 5 moves into cloud based gaming. It will save the Sims having performance issues and take out the limits that Sims can only run on one device at a time.
  • "darrenfroggy;c-17276406" wrote:
    @Scobre Just to touch on the cloud gaming part of your post: I honestly hope that won't happen.
    Sure, a lot more people have online access these days than 5 years ago but there are still a lot of people with two issues: no coverage for access that would allow cloud gaming and providers who make that access impossible due to its cost.
    In an ideal world, with Net Neutrality (which is a whole different conversation that doesn't belong here, so I'm not going to get into it) being the norm, cloud gaming would be great. As it is, it's likely to make a game as inaccessible as requirements that are too high for anything but gaming rigs.

It's a fine balance to aim for, honestly, when it comes to being accessible to players who are and aren't hardcore gamers (unless, of course, they choose to only target one side of the spectrum).

To touch on the other part of your post: the scary thing is that nowadays there are too many people who put too much weight on being right, even when they know they're not. In all sorts of discussions and situations, not specific to gaming or politics or anything else.

Oh a little more about cloud based gaming. I have G-Force Now beta which is free.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

So someone could game with their cellphone on a Wi-Fi spot in public. I know Africa has much cheaper data plans than the USA so Sims could open up so much more worldwide. Sims 4 isn't no internet access at all either. You still need internet to access the Gallery and the patches. But imagine being able to game on your tv, mobile device, console or computer and have it run just as good and look as good on any of those devices. It is still in beta mode of course but it will be game changing when it takes off and becomes mainstream. VR gaming could even be possible for Sims at a cheaper rate being able to play it on mobile, but I hope that they do allow it to turn on and off like first person view for the Sims 4. So no you won't need an expensive gaming rig or internet connection. You could even play in between classes at university. Facial recognition software and procedural generated worlds could also benefit the franchise too and cut EA production costs down.