Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Genetics from Grandparents

Does anyone know if the grandparents affect the genetics of their grandchildren? As in:

Grandfather - blue eyes
Grandmother - brown eyes
Daughter of grandparents - brown eyes
Son-in-law - green eyes
Child - possibility to have blue eyes?

I notice my children always take after their parents. It's a good mix, but can they inherit anything from their grandparents?
In Sims 3 I had this girl born with red hair. I was so confused because neither of her parents had red hair. I then checked their family tree and was happy to see that the grandmother actually had red hair. Can this happen in Sims 4?
  • I don't know about others, but i have had it happen in my game. One family(lost them from restarting my files and not saving tray files) had a child with reddish brown hair but both parents had black hair.

Jae (mother): Black hair and blue eyes, pale skin
    Allen (father): Black hair, brown eyes, tan skin

When the little boy aged up i was surprised he had reddish brown hair, but when i looked at his genetics and his grandfather had the reddish brown hair. His father and his siblings had taken the black hair, brown eyes from their mothers, and Allen sister had two kids that had black hair.
  • I have! -Waves hands frantically-
    I have some townie families that inherit hair and eye color, but I usually look forward to when they get their grandparents' noses or their eyes or whatever. Something that was skipped that wasn't a color.

Here's one for hair:
    http://i.imgur.com/n0CWbbh.png

Spoiler
    Father's side
    Father: Fletcher
    Grandfather: Barnaby
    Grandmother: Vanessa

Mother's side
    Mother: Hana
    Grandfather: Kaoru
    Grandmother: Keon

Daughter: Colette

Fletcher's mother, Vanessa and his dad, Barnaby, also have black hair in their family lines. Vanessa's being her great grandmother and her grandfather and Barnaby's being his mother.
    Hana's parents are the only ones in her line. Her mother Kaoru has black hair.
    Colette also has one older brother who has red hair; Aside from her grandfather Barnaby on her dad's side, he's the only one with red hair on her father's side.

One for eyes:
    http://i.imgur.com/D6PlNTa.png
    Spoiler
    Father's side
    Father: Orion
    Grandaunt: Miracle

Mother's side
    Mother: Ximena

Son: Landyn

Orion's father, Gilbert, has purple eyes, and his wife Elle had light green eyes.
    Gilbert has a sister named Miracle with red eyes.

The game was started with just Gilbert, his sister Miracle, and Gilbert's wife Elle.

Orion is Gilbert's third eldest child out of six kids, five of which inherited purple eyes over their mother's light green eyes. The fifth child Gilbert had, Vera, had red eyes.
    Landyn is the younger twin in a pair of twins Orion had with Ximena. He's got red eyes. His twin brother has green eyes.
    Vera, Orion's sister with red eyes, had a daughter with red eyes.
    Aside from half/quarter/aliens, they're the only family that have purple/red eyes I made in my game.

Then I had this picture that I made like last year for a different genetics thread talking about facial features. Some things can skip a generation, etc, that sort of thing:
    https://i.gyazo.com/2d58d5713af3fe4cc1f85eda05d4ae28.png

Spoiler
    "Cement;14062749" wrote:
    He's got his grandfather from his mother's side's chin, but the shape of his mother's chin. Does that make sense? There's a slight cleft as it shows in his grandfather, but it's not as square. The slight cleft isn't part of the gene pool of his father.
    He's got his great grandfather's nose and lip shape, and was born really pale, so I'm just lightly assuming it's from his great grandfather again. His eyes are also not within the family line either. (Might be hard to see, but it isn't his great grandfather's.) He's got the Goth family cheekbones and the thin body type that are also present in his dad (but sorta hard to see since his dad's heavy set.)
    Honestly, I've been confused by his eyes since he turned into a child because I honestly can't trace them back at all. I like surprises, but it's secretly killing me because I just don't know. xD

They can also inherit body type too, regardless of parent gender--But I haven't seen that much since the unisex patch.
    This game makes me so excited for genetics lmao
  • I don't know for sure as I have no grandparents in the game for this family. I made the mom and dad sim had child in game and here it is. She seems to have the same features as her father but she has also some different features. I love this family though they are great to play

Maybe grandparents were a different race? How would I know when I only have mother and father in family tree?
  • @AkiraAnubise Oh okay, I guess there must be a low chance of it happening because I've had so many families and I've never seen it. I'm glad to see it's possible. :)

I'd love to see anyone else's pictures where the kids inherited something from the grandparents that wasn't present in the parents.
  • I had a sim born in game who got the eyeshape of his grandfather. None of his parents had a similar eye shape. But that's the only time I've experienced something like that, in 10 generations of sims. So it seems to be very rare.
  • @Cement Nicely organized pictures! ;) I think I'll do an experiment with a random family and see if I can get some results.

@Tomatplante Yeah, I'm on my 8th generation and still haven't seen it. :(
    Madamelee
    Seasoned Novice
    in my legacy my heiress all seem to have gotten the Clarissa's (the founder) lips. That would be the great-or great-great grandma of the current gen
  • @jimmysnan Hmm yeah maybe the game rolled for her to inherit something from the grandparents but since there were.no grandparents, it just randomized.
  • "HowGreatThouArt;15286290" wrote:
    @jimmysnan Hmm yeah maybe the game rolled for her to inherit something from the grandparents but since there were.no grandparents, it just randomized.

Sure did LOL! She is a great kid. going to age her up soon and see what that brings. Could bring a new race.

About The Sims 4 General Discussion

Join lively discussions, share tips, and exchange experiences on Sims 4 Expansion Packs, Game Packs, Stuff Packs & Kits.33,032 PostsLatest Activity: 4 minutes ago