Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Magical Bloodline question

I thought I understood the magical bloodline trait, but now I'm a little confused. Here's my occult genealogy so far: I had a townie Spellcaster and a mermaid have a child and she turned out a mermaid, but had the weak bloodline trait. Then I thought I'd strengthen that and tried to end up with a spellcaster family down the line so I had her marry a spellcaster too, thinking at the least the child would have a weak bloodline still, because at least one parent was a spellcaster, and the mermaid parent a weak bloodline. The toddler has no trait whatsoever though, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Unless I'm jumping too soon, and it just doesn't show at the toddler stage yet?
  • According to genetics, your toddler still has at least a 25% chance of not having a spellcaster sim. According to Carl's Sims Guide, the parent with the strongest bloodline determines the offspring. If your spellcaster is not ancient but normal, it has a 50/50 chance of passing on...weak bloodlines could have as little as a 25% to pass on. https://carls-sims-4-guide.com/gamepacks/realmofmagic/magical-bloodline.php

I haven't tested this myself, but I will definitely pay attention from now on!
  • The bloodline trait shows up as soon as the child is born in their traits.

Your child in question has no bloodline most likely because their weak bloodline mother wasn't a spellcaster at all and their spellcaster father wasn't poweful enough in his own right to earn the weak bloodline trait for the offspring at the time of making the baby. Atleast that is my guess as to what happened here. Carl's guide doesn't touch upon this, the chances he mentions are for birthing specific occults, not any bloodlines.
  • "punikki;c-17710080" wrote:
    Your child in question has no bloodline most likely because their weak bloodline mother wasn't a spellcaster at all and their spellcaster father wasn't poweful enough in his own right to earn the weak bloodline trait for the offspring at the time of making the baby.

Oh! I didn't realize spellcaster strength played into it as well. My only thought was spellcaster plus non-spellcaster equaled weak so why didnt this one get one? lol Thank you for clearing that up. I'll try to max his rank before trying again. This child was born a mermaid as well anyway, fortunately I planned to have multiple kids this time. I do have to say, mermaid seems to pass a lot more often as far as occults go. I started the family line with only one parent a mermaid and have been trying to breed it out so to speak for four generations now lol.