Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Relationships and consequences

I was playing a sim of mine last night. He's a restaurant owner, owns 3 now. Anyways he had an affair with Bella Goth. I decided to go over and play her until she had the baby that was obviously going to be his. My problem with the whole situation is that there were no consequences for her having an affair, for her having another mans baby. She was able to tell Mort her "big news" and he was excited. What happened to consequences when sims had affairs. I usually play single sims but for some reason I just wanted this sim to have an affair with Bella and get her pregnant. I wanted to see some drama and well there is none. With the emphasis on emotions that the devs have bragged about you'd think they would get that right. Even in TS3 I had sims break up with my sims when they had an affair (without me doing it.) Where have you guys gone wrong? You say you couldn't get as in depth outside the sims because you worked so hard on them, is this a weird oversight? Don't get me wrong I like the ability of having multiple relationships but I almost don't have to be sneaky about it. Unless my sim is making out right in front of another sim (sometimes even if they're in the next room they don't react), there is no consequences.

Parenthood was a good GP. I think it made parenting more fun and I've actually for the first time in playing since Sims 1, have been playing families more. You got the parenting part down with the kids and being a good or bad parent but what about the relationship between the parents and how they affect the family. Bella had an affair, shouldn't the kids be affected by what that does to her and Mort's relationship (but let's be honest, it does nothing to their relationship because apparently Mort is an idiot). There's a new baby, a half sister, everyone loves her, why? Am I being to analytical about it all, delving deeper then I should be? I know I could get Mort to have some mean interactions with Bella and maybe even get a divorce but that's so forced. I want to leave their house to play another sim and come back to find that Mortimer has moved out and Bella is heartbroken. She would go on to raise 3 kids alone and maybe even "gasp" have to get a job, or maybe she'd move her boyfriend in and the kids would hate him. Maybe Mort could pay child support. There's so much more complexity that goes into a family and relationships, I'd like see that.

With all that said I'm gonna suggest something I wouldn't normally suggest. A relationship or romance GP. I'd much rather see Seasons or University (which honestly imo could be put into one EP, revolving seasons around school etc. but that's another post). I want some drama in my game that I don't have to manually make happen beyond the cheating or affair. Romance has always been a GP about dating and going out on dates blah blah. Well we can already do that. How about a romance GP where there are more intricate relationships and consequences to marriages and families. Maybe even bring in a therapist career much like the vet clinic so couples can do therapy to fix relationships (being a therapist would be fun too). A spouse could even leave the lot for a sim week or so in the case of an affair, come back and decide where to go from there. I understand I'd have to actively get the wheels in motion but I'm happy to do that when there are consequences for the choices I make for my sims. Right now you can pretty much do whatever you want and beyond a "moodlet" that makes little to no difference in your sims every day life, there is no consequences for our sims that make the wrong choices.

I'd really like to see some more work on relationships. They are pretty much one of the core parts of our sims lives. Maybe I haven't played around with it enough and I'm missing something, so if that's the case someone can enlighten me.