Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Why I don't want a Generations pack.

Hey guys,

So ever since the Sims 3 Generations came out people have been requesting a Generations pack for the Sims 4 as well. Now I have to admit I didn't like the idea of a generations pack in the Sims 3 and I don't like it in the Sims 4 either. The main reason is because I think generations belong in the base game. Same goes for the Parenthood game pack in my opinion.

So the first reason why I think the Generations and Parenthood should be base game content is because the Sims 4 was so empty at launch. The team cut out tons of content from the Sims 3 to not put it in the Sims 4 because they were worried it might cause issues but at the same time the team made absolutely no effort to compensate for the lack of these features ex. Open-world, lack of personality etc. by adding more stuff for family, generational play.
If you take the Sims 2 as an example, it was also a game that didn't have an open-world or several other game-changing features that came with the Sims 3. The team however was able to compensate for it by adding tons of personality and family gameplay. The sims 2 already has tons of content specific to certain lifestates which is kind of like Generations but in the base game.

My second reason is evolution. It is 2021 yet the Sims 4 feels like The Sims 2.5. The game is as limited as ever, has oudated graphics and pretty much always the same old expansion packs over and over again. It has all become so predictable and so same. It feels 10 years ago. The game needs to evolve so adding stuff from EPs into the base game and making an effort to come up with new fresh ideas for the DLC.

Finally, my most important reason why I think Generations and Parenthood should be part of the base game is because they feel like cut content from the base game. Those packs aren't really expanding the gameplay in a new direction, they are just adding stuff that could have been in the normal base game but wasn't. The Sims is a game about Sims' lives through several lifestages. That is exactly what the Generations pack adds! new stuff to do in the different life stages. How isn't that not the base game? You can be a teen in the game but if you want actual gameplay for a teen then pay up! Isn't the game itself about playing Sims through their different phases in life, why does there need to be a DLC for that. Just put it in the base game. Same goes for Parenthood. "You can have kids and be a parent in the base game but there are no parenting interactions, you need a pack for that..."

Sorry but at this point Generations and Parenthood feel like a rip-off to me. It kind of feels like the team thinks the (60$) base game should just consist of a CAS, BB and Sim models with 5 animations. C'mon guys, have you forgotten you actually need to put stuff in the base game as well and not put it all in your 59830732 DLCs?