Forum Discussion

4 years ago

EA Data Breach

May want to check your logins and passwords.

https://twitter.com/TheSimCommunity/status/1403314212227719168?s=19
    logionX
    Seasoned Vanguard
    Hopefully EA focuses on security measures, like 2FA and VPN for employees and that they also always double check if a situation like that happens so they can confirm that you actually work at the company.
  • "ClarionOfJoy;c-17910631" wrote:
    "crocobaura;c-17908818" wrote:
    Who pays 28 million USD just to be able to hack some games? Must be really important to win at FIFA or something.

Yeah, some of those FIFA gamers are really obsessive to win their games! I think whoever buys the source code could stand to make a lot of money from reading through the source code and creating hacks from it. The source code for example would show what the true percentages are for acquiring the more valuable loot boxes, so the modder can produce programs to improve the likelihood of getting those more valuable assets. Also check for vulnerabilities in the game that they can take advantage of somehow. Or even just to copy the coding technology for their own games. I can imagine some of the Frostbite engine would be interesting to other game developers.

I can see how it would be interesting to other game developers, but then wouldn't it be possible to tell if they used stolen EA source code in their product? As for hacks and loot boxes, well I imagine if someone pays 28 million USD just to hack and win some lootboxes, they must have 28 million to waste. There is no profit in that unless they somehow sell the hacks to players or something.
    logionX
    Seasoned Vanguard
    "crocobaura;c-17915609" wrote:
    "ClarionOfJoy;c-17910631" wrote:
    "crocobaura;c-17908818" wrote:
    Who pays 28 million USD just to be able to hack some games? Must be really important to win at FIFA or something.

Yeah, some of those FIFA gamers are really obsessive to win their games! I think whoever buys the source code could stand to make a lot of money from reading through the source code and creating hacks from it. The source code for example would show what the true percentages are for acquiring the more valuable loot boxes, so the modder can produce programs to improve the likelihood of getting those more valuable assets. Also check for vulnerabilities in the game that they can take advantage of somehow. Or even just to copy the coding technology for their own games. I can imagine some of the Frostbite engine would be interesting to other game developers.

I can see how it would be interesting to other game developers, but then wouldn't it be possible to tell if they used stolen EA source code in their product? As for hacks and loot boxes, well I imagine if someone pays 28 million USD just to hack and win some lootboxes, they must have 28 million to waste. There is no profit in that unless they somehow sell the hacks to players or something.

It's expensive to make videogames and you would not want to risk losing it all because you used stolen code so I don't think any game developer would do that.

It can be lucrative to make hacks for online multiplayer games but 28 million? Whoever ends up buying that must have a lot of money to spare.