Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Is the sims appropriate for kids?

Closed discussion
  • That is totally down to the parent, and further which gen of the game one is considering. Games 3 and 4 are pretty watered down. There is a good list above of all of what is in the games. I personally did not let my children play The Sims 1 or 2, and I think my son was 13 when 3 came out and I was okay with it then.
  • Yes and no, I'd say monitor them for sure to be careful that they don't WooHoo their Sims but if you don't feel like doing that, I'd say no, don't let them play.
  • I don't have any kids, but i suggest the adult plays it first, or the kid plays with the adult. There are some very mature themes like Sex, death and pregnancy. Then again some kids can be mature for their age. i was 11 when i first played, and i played the sims 2 for psp first. Now, the sims 2 is a bit violent than some of the other games because their slaps can be agressive. Also some kids just get a lecturing for crying! that can be a bit traumatic for some. The sims 4 is a bit watered down about this, however, because it can happen- yeah. Even in my sims 4, i have a sim called Elizabeth Merther, who got divorced, not once but 2 times! that can also be emotional for people. Depends tho. Although honestly, the best game to start with is My Sims. although it is a bit different than The Sims 1,2, 3, and 4.
  • I got my start playing the Sims 2 after watching my mom play when I was around 8 or 9. I think the game is fine for kids, depending on what media you let your kids consume outside of the game. If you're a parent who carefully monitors their every interaction with media to make sure they never encounter anything inappropriate, the game is probably best played when they're a teen. However, if your kids are exposed to media with more mature themes, they should be able to handle the game just fine when they're a little younger. I wouldn't let a 6 year old play it but I wouldn't protest an 11 or 12 year old playing it.
    Moridhus
    New Spectator
    I think it's perfectly fine for little kids, as long as you don't have certain mods.
    Sure, characters can fight and they can "woohoo", but the base game doesn't show you what happens in a fight or during "woohoo", and there's no nudity. You just see two characters go into the bed, pull the covers over their head, and a bunch of hearts fly in the air. If you're not opposed to the kids knowing that parents "try for baby" in the bed or shower, than it's fine.

That being said, I didn't introduce my own child to any video games until she was about 11 or 12.

About The Sims Franchise Discussion

Discuss The Sims Medieval, the original The Sims, and speculate on the future of the franchise, including Project Rene.1,007 PostsLatest Activity: 13 minutes ago