Forum Discussion

chertosha
Seasoned Newcomer
5 years ago

Another nail in the coffin from EA?

In the last couple days I heard from lots of people, just playing the game as usual, receiving these kinds of messages:

"We have reset your EA Account password. We know this is an inconvenience, and hope you recognize that we take the safety of your personal information seriously.

What happened?
After detecting potentially suspicious activity associated with your EA Account, we reset the password to protect your personal information. At this time, we do not think the suspicious activity is the result of unauthorized access to EA databases. We think the activity may be related to issues like phishing, using weak passwords, logging in from shared connections, or using the same password on multiple websites."

This happens repeatedly, for no consistent reason I could discern. One hypothesis is that people login the same account from different ip addresses and then this happens. But that is not always the case. Probably some ips or combinations of ips EA treats as more suspicious than others. Seems completely random to me.
Are we now supposed to always login from one IP to avoid this constantly reappearing?
How often are we supposed to change passwords now?
This is extremely inconvenient! By the way, lots of accounts are not even associated with any emails to start with and have never changed passwords. This shuts down the game for those accounts altogether.
Note that this password reset happens even for the same person logging in from two different places (work and home). Can I only play from one computer now?
Think about collaboration within alliance. Collaboration and backup within alliance requires sharing logins. Is this meaning people cannot share their logins anymore? How are people supposed to do pvp and fight back during attacks in the middle of the night?

This makes the game completely unplayable!

We demand that either this feature is removed, or an explanation is made about what this "protection" is supposed to protect against and how it works and whom it applies to, so that the community can adjust.
    chertosha
    Seasoned Newcomer
    "gamerdruid;c-2150122" wrote:

Edit: and for those who need it in English, https://web.archive.org/web/20170611191248/http://www.tiberiumalliances.com/rules

Here is what it says:
    "Multiple people using the same account is not allowed. Should you give your login details to a fellow player, we will not undo anything the aforementioned player may do or cause."

This just absolves EA/EE from responsibility if that happens. There are no sanctions for sharing account credentials. There are sanctions for a long list of other offenses, but sharing accounts is not on the list. When some behaviour is stated as we don't "allow" it and "we will not undo this" and there is no punishment, it is not against the rules, you just get less support in related cases.

The whole community has been operating under this understanding since the start. Arguably, sharing logins for pvp is part of the mechanics of the game, because this is the only thing you cannot do in any other way, you cannot do it through substitution, and there are no sanctions for doing it.

Now to the main question: When somebody logins from a different place (not sharing logins) and is asked to change password - that's a sanction for something that is not against the rules - this behavior from EA/EE contradicts the ToS.

Hence our questions.

The rest of what i wrote are examples to illustrate how this new sanction affects the community, and that is why everybody cares and can relate to it. So don't get side-tracked with what you think is against the rules, that is beyond the point here.

• "EE_Elephterion;c-2150194" wrote:
    "redmatch1;c-2150164" wrote:
    obviously this game is being killed so they can take the engine and code from EA to start their own adventure but under Envision.

the rudeness of the moderators and 'i dont care' from the devs, the lack of response from EA other than trying to hide salary information of EA execs says enough.

I hope you realize how silly this is. Envision already owns the 'code' as this is still the studio that created the game to begin with. If we saw any value in recyclign a 10+ years old browser game, what would keep us from going ahead?

Regarding your problem I told you all I know. The only option here is to contact the customer support and hope for the best. If you've only come here to make random accusations I'll just gonna dedicate my time elsewhere.

i have already contacted customer support.
    EA help is a seperate company they told me and they have no way to give feedback or influence any decision making.

so its companies hiding behind companies and noone has an anwser.

if you already own the code, why not create a similair game but lower priced and get all the current customers ?
  • I'm surprised they have no way of giving feedback. I'm not surprised they don't have any influence.

Business relationships are governed by contracts. I don't expect @EE_Elephterion or anyone from Envision of EA to comment on contractual limitations or features.
  • "redmatch1;c-2149658" wrote:
    @sentierorosso around 1000 players have already told them this.
    they dont care until their next quarterly statement comes in.

they will see revenue drop by 80%.
    This game is dead.

EA refuses to give an answer and if we get too personal they ban us from the forum.
    There is nothing we can do here except save money.

Does EA really not care about this game? Its quite a shame that there are fewer players out there than right now and EA must have a money problem.
    If the TA losses its value and the game is about to be sold or shutdown, I hope Blizzard Entertainment purchases it instead. I'm sure that company can raise its potential...
    Despite the game being online and quite competitive, I see this game having some E-sports potential. Just raise the resource production rate and let the players rush their way to the fortress.
    Winning alliance takes the prize and there's an entrance fee of around 5 to 10% of the prize fee. I'm sure there would be like 400 to 500 competing players.
  • Yes, I agree with Chertosha here and am also wondering what triggers are in place to prompt this type of EA account protection. The community would like to know to minimize its occurance.

I myself play from multiple IP addresses on different accounts that I own. Sometimes, I am also on VPN because of the type of work I do. But haven't encountered the automatic password reset or has the account protection happened to me yet. I would like to know what triggers it.

OP suggest it happens randomly, i really hope that is not the case because that makes no sense at all.

As for the accounts with invalid emails, why not send ingame messages to everyone first letting them know that these account protections will be implemented on such date to give them ample time to react and make necessary changes? It's not their fault that EA allowed this practice to go on without having to confirm valid email at time of registering an account before allowing the account to be used for any features of the platform. Many platforms does this now; hence, a email address has to be confirmed before it can fully utilize the features. Surprisingly, EA being a big company has not followed those procedures. Instead, they make changes with little-to-none announcements to its community of users.
  • Who knows, with EA's bad reputation at responding to complains about games, we've rather have a company with a better track history than one that consumes titles for their cash and milks the game dry of their value and leaves it broken much to the charge-in of other players.
    I'm not familiar with E-sports, but I do know Blizzard handles a lot of those. If Blizzard purchases TA, they can see the value in the game servers and host championships and keep the game up to shape.
    It all matters to the company's motto's and whether they listen to suggestions and use complaints to fix issues within the game.
  • "Shinerplunderer;c-2150512" wrote:

Does EA really not care about this game? Its quite a shame that there are fewer players out there than right now and EA must have a money problem.

Well, since Corona the EA stock have been climbing nicely...
    But I still find it strange that even though I'm not really active here in the forums, I'm a veteran compared to EA's own forum manager @EA_Arcadia with his 5 identical posts with the "Update to Moderation on EA Forums". They could at least pretend to care more.
    Maybe employ @gamerdruid as it is really him and @EE_Elephterion that are the closest link to EA we get in here.

But I also saw Elep saying that Envision own the rights to the game code, so then I don't know what part EA really play in regards to this game at all, except from taking our cash...
  • "gamerdruid;c-2151972" wrote:

Taking our cash, providing the hardware to run the game and agreeing the direction of development of the game. You've got it! Envision do the work on the game and get paid according to their contractual arrangements.

EA provide these forums too - and set the rules for the forums.

Thx. Didn't know about the hosting part.
    But still think they should employ you, as you do a far better, and more active job than the EA Forum employees ;)

About Tiberium Alliances General Discussion

Talk with other players about what is going on in your Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances game.1,163 PostsLatest Activity: 10 days ago