Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Restarting Town Designs

I mapped out where I wanted things on paper first, then worked from the top left down and right. That way if you run out of space you can buy more land
  • I usually have a vision of what my Springfield looks like in my mind and I slowly piece things together. I usually put one building down to see where the road goes before putting the rest of the buildings down.

And I do things in sectors, like residential areas, school area, entertainment area etc.

Decorations come in last. Unless I'm putting fences of course. For example, when I build my burns manor, I place it, put roads around it and than put the fences in. So if i have to adjust fences (they are a pain in the butt) I don't have to shift so many things. :)

Hope this helps. :D
  • stakov wrote:
    I mapped out where I wanted things on paper first, then worked from the top left down and right. That way if you run out of space you can buy more land

OMG :shock: I did this as well.
    Decorations definitely comes last.
    I sadly need more land but I also need money for the burns place :(
  • I'm doing a full overhaul now (well, now-ish, since I'm at work and my iPad is at home).

I've working from the centre out, with the centrepoint being the spot you first see when you enter the town. For me, my centrepoint is my town hall. The next ring will be civil service buildings, followed by stores and restaurants and then houses. I'll probably put the school in the residential ring, the power plant and cemeteries on the outskirts.
  • I too started center out, Town Hall is center. Frankly, to make it easier for my friends I put my buildings to vandalize around that, ideally with three on the screen at once, but that is juts me.

From there I build by section, but I bounce from place to place, getting a feel for things. Roads come and go based on what looks right. So less of a firm vision and more of a feeling it out, but having ideas of what I want
  • I'm about to be doing a complete redesign as well here in about a week. I am trying to save up about 6 million so I can buy the remaining land (43 squares to buy) and have enough left over for buildings/decorations. I should be at 3 million after tonight. Thanks for the tips as I was wondering this same thing as well.
  • ChristianPhoto wrote:
    LONG time luker!! Little posting however :/

Anyway, I just stored pretty much every item into my inventory because my town needed a complete overhaul for Burns manor! Do you guys suggest designing roads first? or place buildings willy nilly? thanks :)

-Grant :D

I took a screenshot of my town, and printed it out. It's kinda * but I like the design concept of this game, it's by far the most pleasing in terms of design and function. On my print I wrote down what could go where and what I wanted in future expansions. With recent spoilers I'm no longer left wondering what I'll need, in terms of space so I've made plans for those too. After I knew what I had and what to do with it, I cleared all decorations, flowers, shrubs etc, and left the buildings out, and moved them to the desired locations, and then just put my roads in. It took 3 days for me to get the layout down but it was worth it. I still haven't decorated it fully as I'm waiting for the snow to melt and then I'll add the finishing touches.

• mdfriend wrote:
    I too started center out, Town Hall is center.

just stopped by your town...really like a lot of what youre doing. i especially like the reindeer guarding all of the doors to places. clever.
  • dougsbeard wrote:
    mdfriend wrote:
    I too started center out, Town Hall is center.

just stopped by your town...really like a lot of what youre doing. i especially like the reindeer guarding all of the doors to places. clever.

Thanks, yes, after having them just around I stumbled on the idea of them as sentries, much more fun that way.