Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Future of GAC post nerf

This has been a trend in GAC, but with the nerfs it will go from a 10% win rate to 0%. These teams won’t be beatable by anything other than GLs.

It’s going to now come down to whether both opponents set GLs on D or set any defense at all. And if you have all 5 GLs, and place them strategically you can keep your opponents from clearing all zones.

Now let’s add Vader on D, it’s reportedly going to be unbeatable and mirror matches will be unpredictable RNG fest. So now ships will be potentially unclearable.

How are any of these changes expected to keep GAC relevant? GLs were already making things difficult, but we had the non GL counters. Now we don’t have those and it’ll come down to a numbers game.
    perfidius44
    Rising Newcomer
    "Legend91;c-2287867" wrote:
    "TVF;c-2286935" wrote:

"Jpfit262;d-248090" wrote:
    This has been a trend in GAC, but with the nerfs it will go from a 10% win rate to 0%. These teams won’t be beatable by anything other than GLs.

It’s going to now come down to whether both opponents set GLs on D or set any defense at all. And if you have all 5 GLs, and place them strategically you can keep your opponents from clearing all zones.

I like strategy.

Yeah, here it is:
    1) keep roster at minimum level
    2) only go for GLs and their prerequisites
    3) look at how many and which GLs the opponent has, keep the own GLs with which you can counter the opponents GLs and set the remaining one(s) on defense

From the last 9 opponents that I could find in your GAC history none had the same amount of GLs that you have (or more), they all had 1-3 less GLs (roster snapshot from today, some might have gotten 1 more GL in the meantime). In total the GL average of those 9 ppl is 2.27 vs your 4 and there was only 1 single GL on def, ironically from someone that didn't even have 3 GLs but only 2.5 (g10 JML).

From my last 9 opponents, most had the same number of GLs (3) or even 1 more. Actually only 1 guy had 1 GL less. In total the GL average of those 9 ppl is 3.33 vs my 3 and there were 11 GLs on def, my last opponent (Pigsticker from sL Nomads) put all 4 GLs on defense while still full clearing the board - was a brutal match.

Obviously for someone that always has the GL advantage the upcoming nerfs to GL counters are fantastic. But for those of us that do not have a 100% GL focused roster and who keep facing opponents with 1-2 more GLs (more frequently now if Executor was unlocked) these changes and nerfs could ruin GAC for us if no GL counters are going to work.

CG is changing the playground here. GLs were never advertised/sold as an unbeatable thing that only other GLs could take down, just as incredibly powerful characters. People were then developing various counters to the different GLs - some got fixed/nerfed, most of them would remain intact. GAS, Fives, Chewie was beating SLKR and kept doing so ever since. JKR, JKL was beating SLKR and kept doing so. Vader beating Rey ever since Vader got his rework - no word from CG that this shouldn't be a thing. Then there were various teams that took down SEE (including g11/12 trooper mix) and them later explicitly stating that he's WAI. In all this time CG never made in impression that they'd have a problem with non-GL teams (in general) beating GLs. So people geared up and fine tuned their GL counters for GAC and TW. Now all of a sudden they did a complete 180 and changed their minds about GLs and non-GL counters and that screws up a LOT of players.

We disagree on one thing but agree on another.

Nerfing reliable non-gl counters is a good idea imo. Have a look at the executor post to see why it is important (at least for what seems a lot of people) that very costly teams stay very hard to beat by cheaper/older teams.

However, I totally agree that players who thought the non-gl counters were legit and gear characters for it now have what may be overgeared characters who will hurt their mm. A better devolving offer would have been welcomed. It didn’t come, so now the only way out seems to use those overgeared characters who sometimes are prerequisites for gl (thrawn, Vader, veers, piett, starck, wat, gas for instance). It will take time and it’s not an ideal solution, but I think it can be recovered.