Forum Discussion

7 years ago

New Fleet Arena Payout Scale

I realize that the point of adding crystals to the arena payout likely has to do with "encouraging" people to participate in a game mode that many dislike or find too time consuming (I actually enjoy ships - and realize I am an oddity).

However, the scale is pretty awful. One of the elegant things about fleet arena was that the payout scale was more linear. 1,800 fleet tokens for 1st versus 1,200 for top 200. That allowed players to try different lineups, participate as needed in a node that takes a little longer, etc.

Not only were crystals introduced, but the scaling is actually far WORSE in ship arena versus squad arena, once you move outside the top 10.

At 20 in squad arena, you earn 200 crystals (or 40% of the top payout). In fleet arena you earn only 100 at 20 (or 25% of the top payout). And beyond 20, no crystal reward at all. Even as far down as 100 in squad arena, players could still earn 20% of the top payout.

With this seemingly "small" addition, fleet rewards have been drastically altered from a linear scale, which was fair to all players, to an extremely top heavy (again, even far worse than squad arena) model, which favors only the elite (i.e. whales).

Sadly, for many f2p, guppies and even dolphins, many don't realize how this seemingly small addition only makes it worse for players at those level, making the rich richer over time. A very poor design choice. Extremely disappointing change.

I realize the need to keep the whales happy - but many were just handed 20k crystals. C'mon man.