Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Royal Guard: A thoughtful rework.

Emperor Palpatine is indeed one of the more powerful characters in GOH. However, we all know that his most loyal red bodyguard is sadly underpowered. It’s an older character that has been left behind by newer and better additions of dark side tanks. Currently Palpatine doesn’t have synergy with a single character, and I think suggestions by the community that Royal Guard is ripe for improvement are well founded. Here are a few thoughts:

-Force Pike: Deal physical damage to target enemy and inflict speed down for 1 turn, 2 turns if the target is a rebel. This attack cannot be evaded by rebels, and if Palpatine is below 50% health, this also applies to Jedi.

- Unique: Royal Guard has a 50% counter chance when Palpatine is attacked by a basic ability, 75% chance if attacked by a rebel or a Jedi. If Palpatine is present, Palpatine and Royal Guard both recover 10% protection anytime shock is applied.

-Zeta: if Palpatine is an ally, Royal Guard has + 75% potency. If Palpatine is the leader, RG also has 25% tenacity, 10% health steal, and 25% max protection. When Palpatine falls below 100% health, RG taunts for 2 turns and grants critical hit immunity to Palpatine for 3 turns.

-Imperial Phalanx: Keep the same but add taunt for 1 turn. If Palpatine is an ally, he immediately takes a bonus turn, grant him speed up for 2 turns, and expose the weakest Jedi or rebel for 1 turn.

That’s it! It’s easy to just wish a character could have more health, damage or speed. I’m a strong believer in synergy and it’s what makes GOH such a fun game. The potency boost will make his speed down debuff far more feasible, which is practically useless in the top 500 of Squad Arena. Since Palpatine already stuns very efficiently, I found it better remove the stun from RG and boost his synergy, and make his debuffs more situational, and more interesting.

These modest changes would modernize and make a useable bodyguard out of RG.

I have made some edits based on others recommendations. Thoughts?
  • It's too modest (as @Allenb60 said). But it also misses an aspect I think is absolutely crucial. Emperor Palpatine's zeta on his unique gives him stacking Max Protection. This is the most useful with Protection recovery. But the only empire or sith character with protection recovery is Thrawn. Which is why I believe Royal Guard needs to have protection recovery in his kit.
  • "Ichiraikou;c-1999073" wrote:
    It's too modest (as @Allenb60 said). But it also misses an aspect I think is absolutely crucial. Emperor Palpatine's zeta on his unique gives him stacking Max Protection. This is the most useful with Protection recovery. But the only empire or sith character with protection recovery is Thrawn. Which is why I believe Royal Guard needs to have protection recovery in his kit.

That’s a great suggestion. Perhaps if RG is present, he doubles the 5% max protection recovery of Palpatine and it also applies to RG?

MagicMathew, he is certainly a good leader with those characters due to his potency boost and TM gain from debuffs, but I define synergy as specific character-character boosts, like Phoenix squad uniques.
  • I’m afraid this rework is a bit too modest. If RG is going to see usage with Palpatine he has to be better than Shoretrooper or Sith Trooper, so they would be a good starting point for balance
  • Palps' leader ability has direct synergies with the more debuffy Sith/Empire people, like Vader, Tarkin and the Bastila woman.
  • "Baconlichten_5;c-1999077" wrote:
    "Ichiraikou;c-1999073" wrote:
    It's too modest (as @Allenb60 said). But it also misses an aspect I think is absolutely crucial. Emperor Palpatine's zeta on his unique gives him stacking Max Protection. This is the most useful with Protection recovery. But the only empire or sith character with protection recovery is Thrawn. Which is why I believe Royal Guard needs to have protection recovery in his kit.

That’s a great suggestion. Perhaps RG could gain the 5% max protection recovery whenever Palpatine does?

That's not bad either. But also some actual Protection recovery is needed, not just stacking max protection. If you have 0% protection left, stacking max protection won't be noticed. Due tot he fact that even if your max protection increases, you will still have 0% of that number left, which obviously is 0. Only once you actually recover some protection, will that increased max protection be noticed.
    I
  • I know. It would be cool if Palpatine gave RG boosts when RG is an ally, not just vice versa:

-Let the hate Flow: keep the same, but if Royal Guard is an ally, Palpatine recovers an equal amount of protection as he does health, and Royal Guard gains that protection too.

That would be incredible. I rarely use Let the Hate Flow. Usually by the time I’m out of protection the match is usually decided one way or another. If he’s going to have that ability it would be nice if it was actually usable.
  • Here's mine: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/208376/royal-guard-rework
  • "dimi4a;c-2000666" wrote:
    Here's mine: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/208376/royal-guard-rework

I love it. The ”Emperor’s Guard” Zeta is a great idea. As an alternative a lot of people are saying that RG should counter anytime EP is attacked. Either way, some kind of critical hit immunity and protection recovery should be crucial.