Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Royal Guard redesign with Palpatine synergies & Darth Vader Rework

Abstract

----------------

I have noticed in my arena that Emperor Palpatine is not so prevalent anymore and is in fewer and fewer teams. So I have decided to draft some design ideas to allow him to maintain his position as a powerful arena presence.

This consists mostly of ideas to also make Royal Guard useful again. Hopefully, the designs would provide Palpatine additional survivability and an additional Taunting companion to protect him. I have adapted all of Royal Guards existing abilities and descriptions and given him a new Unique. Ultimately, Palpatine already has a great kit, he just lacks survivability. So, Instead of changing him I adapted Royal Guard to be more what he should be; Palpatines personal guard.

In addition, I noticed that Vader was somewhat unique in that he currently does not have a Unique ability. So I decided to rectify that, giving him some additional bonuses, Palpatine synergies and also slightly modified his existing abilities with the hope that it would make him more viable as a standalone arena toon, outside of his own lead ability. Also, the idea of Palpatine/Vader synergy has been discussed at length in various chats I’m in so I think it is something that would be of benefit to the playerbase and contribute to a greater Imperial presence in arena.

Finally, I have designed a Palpatine Lead zeta to make debuffing teams more viable and also counter cleansers.

----------------

CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS

----------

Royal Guard

------------

Character Description:

Versatile Empire Tank that punishes enemies for attacking other allies

Affiliations:

Dark Side, Empire, Tank

Force Pike (BASIC)

Deal Physical Damage to Target enemy and inflict Speed Down for 3 Turns, with an 85% chance to Stun the target. If Emperor Palpatine is present he gains 5% Protection and 10% Turn Meter.

Imperial Phalanx (SPECIAL)

Dispel all enemies of all Positive Status Effects and reduce the Cooldowns of all Imperial allies by 1 Turn. If Emperor Palpatine is present he gains one of each dispelled Status Effect for 3 Turns.

In addition, the first time this ability is used, Palpatine gains 55% Turn Meter and 60% Defence for the rest of the battle. (Cooldown: 3 Turns)

Unyielding Defender (UNIQUE)

Royal Guard gains Taunt for 1 Turn whenever an ally falls below 50% Health and all Imperial allies gain Health equal to 5% of Royal Guards Max Health whenever he Gains Taunt. In addition, Imperial allies gain 7% Turn Meter whenever Royal Guard is damaged.

Serve the Emperor (UNIQUE)

If Emperor Palpatine is present he gains Health equal to 25% of Royal Guards Max Health and Offence equal to 20% of Royal Guards Max Offence.

In addition, whenever Emperor Palpatine is Critically Hit or falls below 100% Health, Royal Guard gains Taunt for 1 Turn.

------------------

Darth Vader

---------------

Character Description:

Fearsome Attacker that applies AoE Damage Over Time, and crushes debuffed targets for extra turns

Affiliations:

Dark Side, Sith, Empire, Attacker

Terrifying Swing (BASIC)

Deal Physical Damage to Target Enemy with an 85% chance to inflict Ability Block for 1 Turn.

Force Crush (SPECIAL)

Deal Physical Damage to all enemies and inflict Speed Down and 4 Damage Over Time effects for 3 Turns. In addition, remove 20% Turn Meter from all Rebel and Jedi enemies, doubled on a Critical Hit. (Cooldown: 4)

Culling Blade (SPECIAL)

Deal Physical Damage to target enemy and dispel all debuffs on them. This attack deals 50% more damage for each effect dispelled and grants 100% Turn Meter on a finishing blow. If the defeated enemy is a Rebel or Jedi, also grant Emperor Palpatine 100% Turn Meter and Critical Damage Up. (Cooldown: 4)

Weapon of the Empire (UNIQUE)

Jedi and Rebel enemies cannot Resist or Evade any of Vaders attacks or debuffs. In addition, Whenever Darth Vader inflicts a finishing blow he gains Advantage for 2 Turns and his next attack deals 85% more damage.

If Emperor Palpatine is present, Darth Vader gains +15 Speed, +15% Critical Chance and 5% Critical Damage for each Dark Side ally. In addition, whilst Palpatine is alive, there is a 65% chance for a random Jedi or Rebel enemy to be Ability Blocked for 1 turn whenever Vader takes a turn or uses a Special Ability.

Inspiring Through Fear (LEADER) - UNCHANGED

Empire and Sith allies gain 30% Offence and have a 50% chance to remove 20% Turn Meter when they damage an enemy. This Turn Meter removal can’t be Resisted. While Darth Vader is alive, enemies immediately regain Damage Over Time for 2 turns whenever Damage Over Time expires on them.

------------

Emperor Palpatine Lead (ZETA)

------------------

Emperor of the Galactic Empire

Empire and Sith allies have an extra 32% Health and Potency. Jedi and Rebel enemies lose 32% Health and Evasion. Whenever an Empire ally inflicts a debuff during their turn they gain 20% Turn Meter. Whenever a Sith ally inflicts a debuff during their turn they recover 20% of their Max Health.

ZETA:

+ In addition, Sith and Empire allies have a 75% chance to ignore Tenacity Up when applying debuffs against Jedi, Rebel or Galactic Republic enemies and also gain 8% Turn Meter whenever a Jedi, Rebel or Galactic Republic enemy is cleansed.

------------------------

Thank you for reading and hopefully you like the designs, concepts and ideas.

Any feedback is welcome

------------------------
  • RG upgrades are too much. Healing Other toons would mean chirpantine would do crazy damage

Also retribution on RG seems too much, like another Aayla counter/stun
  • "Asic;c-1117892" wrote:
    RG upgrades are too much. Healing Other toons would mean chirpantine would do crazy damage

Also retribution on RG seems too much, like another Aayla counter/stun

He only heals Empire toons, so I'll keep that as it is

But I'll remove Retribution

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated
  • "Fearbeard;c-1117903" wrote:
    That RG sounds a little insane. Stun, slow full enemy team debuffs, auto taunt, turn meter gain for team. Though Chaze is insane so fair game I guess.

I definitely support a 4th ability be added that suggest strong emperor synergy. Would help empire gain some relevance

Chaze will never be nerfed. So the best way to remedy it unfortunately is to improve other factions to make them able to stand up to them defensively, with the end goal of supporting a much larger pool of viable meta options. This is just one of many ideas that could be implemented or designed to advance on this goal.

And I would rather the game progress with new character designs and ideas them regress with various nerfs and other unnecessary changes

Thanks for the suggestions
  • Good job, screw Chaze!! B) We can't hurt our Rebel user feewings though...
  • "holyjoe35;c-1119231" wrote:
    "RAYRAY;c-1117877" wrote:
    The thing is, if they made all of these changes, they would be comptetive with the current meta but not overtake it.

are you suggesting nothing should be competitive with the meta?

heaven for bid we should have diversity. i don't think these changes would have everyone jumping on board these toons in the first place. sure the insure players who have to be number one to superficially prove themselves against the other insure players who have to be number one to superficially prove themselves might jump ship.

but there are a whole slew of players who play with toons they genuinely enjoy. if those happen to be the said toons we are talking about they will use them. if they aren't, they won't be bothered.

other than from disney and the dev's where does this idea that there has to be one all powerful faction or meta team all the time come from?

Yeah, the idea of this design isn't to make these toons an OP Chaze pair, its to hopefully balance the meta and make Empire more viable alongside the many Rebel and Chaze compositions that frequent the Arena Top 10/20