Forum Discussion

MadMan4646
Newcomer
5 years ago

SWGOH Subscription

Is the player base large enough to support a subscription model versus micro transactions?

If everyone paid 10-20 dollars a month and had access to everything at the same time would CG raise more money or less money than micro transactions? I realize there are whales and krakens that spend thousands but if millions spend monthly would profits and content be better or worse?
  • Games with a subscription based model have a constant flow of content to keep their subscribers happy... Swgoh does not. That's what the community has been asking for repeatedly for years. Adding new characters behind grinds and pay walks is not content.

If your trying to compare swgoh to say swtor or wow in terms of mmos, you will notice a significant difference. While wow has been in decline with content faltering, bioware has done an amazing job on swtor with the constant addition of content.. And you don't even need a subscription to experience 75% of that. Hell swtors model is subscribe once to unlock all the recent content for $15 then play away.. For hours upon hours... After that first initial $15 you can unsub and be a preferred player still giving you access but somewhat slowing your progress.. But it is still accessible.

Swgoh can sustain that model, yes the player base is likely there, but we haven't seen any new actual content since tb/tw and hsith.. (geo TB doesn't count, it was a reskin).
  • Not sure I’d be willing to even drop $10 on this game in its current form. It’d have to be a revitalization for me to drop a single penny.
  • You’d still need to make collection decisions and you still wouldn’t know what’s coming. You do the same with television shows every week. If Netflix and Hulu can make huge amounts of cash through $8 subscriptions, why can’t this do the same? Look how much content Netflix and Hulu vomit out.
  • "Whitefly425;d-215738" wrote:
    If everyone paid 10-20 dollars a month and had access to everything at the same time would CG raise more money or less money than micro transactions?

Less money, obviously. That's why they are going with the microtransactions.
  • "Whitefly425;d-215738" wrote:
    Is the player base large enough to support a subscription model versus micro transactions?

These are not opposing options. Players that play this game as is does not translate directly to players who would play a subscription based game.

The player base would shrink losing both paying and free to play players with a change like that. There may be some who would pick it up but that would not likely be sustainable for s change this late in the life of the game.
  • Kyno I respectfully disagree. How do you explain other subscription based services and games? Whether you’re selling a tv show or video game the idea should be the same. Do you think any of the streaming services would be as successful as they are if you had to buy every tv show a la carte? The idea is to grow the subscriber base with good content. I know CG and EA are big companies but they are much smaller than Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, etc. If money is the name of the game EA and CGs strategy is completely wrong. It’s not about a small group of big spenders, but a massive group of small spenders. Everyone else in business gets it.
  • To the OP. I like your idea and I would be willing to consider a monthly fee to play a game on equal footing to other players. That being said, my willingness to pay to play is a mute point if my wife doesn't agree. Pretty sure the answer will be no.

Can I keep playing for free and let those who pay for the game have an advantage?
  • "Whitefly425;c-1979971" wrote:
    Kyno I respectfully disagree. How do you explain other subscription based services and games? Whether you’re selling a tv show or video game the idea should be the same. Do you think any of the streaming services would be as successful as they are if you had to buy every tv show a la carte? The idea is to grow the subscriber base with good content. I know CG and EA are big companies but they are much smaller than Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, etc. If money is the name of the game EA and CGs strategy is completely wrong. It’s not about a small group of big spenders, but a massive group of small spenders. Everyone else in business gets it.

It's possible to have a subscription based model, but that in no way means the same group of people would play it. You absolutely could not switch models like that 4 years in. If they wanted to do a subscription based SW game, it would be an entirely new game. And as Kyno mentioned, some of the people playing this game wouldn't play it. I am one of them - I don't pay subscriptions for games, ever.