Forum Discussion

9 years ago

What does DPS mean?

I'm new to the game. What does DPS mean? All these acronyms are confusing!
  • "AlraiHoondon;c-1330000" wrote:
    How do you figure out a character's damage per second?

It has become more of a slang word for attacker or high dmg character.
  • Since this game is broken up into turns instead of being fluid combat, there is no such thing as "damage per second". If you see the acronym DPS somewhere, it is either referring to a character that primarily deals damage (denoted by the "attacker" tag), or the person using the acronym is misapplying it.
  • "J7Luke;c-1330003" wrote:
    Since this game is broken up into turns instead of being fluid combat, there is no such thing as "damage per second". If you see the acronym DPS somewhere, it is either referring to a character that primarily deals damage (denoted by the "attacker" tag), or the person using the acronym is misapplying it.

Or using it to mean "damage per shot"....which is a perfectly acceptable usage of the acronym.
  • "Nikoms565;c-1330011" wrote:
    "J7Luke;c-1330003" wrote:
    Since this game is broken up into turns instead of being fluid combat, there is no such thing as "damage per second". If you see the acronym DPS somewhere, it is either referring to a character that primarily deals damage (denoted by the "attacker" tag), or the person using the acronym is misapplying it.

Or using it to mean "damage per shot"....which is a perfectly acceptable usage of the acronym.

I have never heard it used that way before, but I suppose an acronym can mean whatever you want it to.