Forum Discussion

coolnessda
Rising Newcomer
6 months ago

How to determine if mods will be any good

I'm not a huge fan of mods. For something that isn't hard to work on during character development to have such a massive impact on toon performance to the point where regardless of how high level something is mods can render them completely useless. What factors do you look for in a mod to determine how good it is before investing in slicing it? My usual concerns with them is mainly just researching mod sets online while preparing for events like galactic legends and never bother to change them again unless something isn't working because I find making multiple mod sets for one toon to be more of a hassle.
  • Speed for sure is important for almost every character. So if a mod doesn't have at least 4 I normally sell it. Speed mods that don't have at least 5 speed also get sold right away.

Then I always try to make sure that the mods have stats that fit the kind of mod. For example an offence mod without at least 2 offence stats gets also sold(meaning at least crit chance and offence). Same goes for defence mods like health and protection. At least 2 defensive stats are mandatory or it will be sold(health, protection,defence).

In general I prefer the % over the flats. If for example a health mod has only flats I normally also sell it.

This is just a very rough overview, it of course gets deeper when it comes to other secondaries like potency for example in those mods for characters that need it etc.

There are some guides out there a lot more detailed than what I wrote so I would suggest to look into those.
  • It depends where you are at in your modding, but some simple things to consider.

Speed is king - always.   It determines how often your characters take turns - more turns, more wins.    Pretty well all the time (there's a few exceptions... very very few)

Simple principles:
    1) Level up mods to see all 4 secondary stats 
    2) Dispose of any without a speed secondary stat (except arrow - keep speed arrows)
    3)  Depending on depth of your mods you can also trash those with only +3 speed or +4 speed - if you're just starting those are better then one's with no speed secondary.
    4) Level up to gold - if they roll speed more then 1X then they're likely keepers - lock them so you don't by mistake sell them.
    5) For potency guilds, you either want potency primary (cross) or potency secondary stat.    Similar for tenacity mods with obvious changes.
    6) Figure out and save mod filters - new mods (< Level 15), mods to upgrade (grey, green, blue, purple 5-star with speed) - start upgrading those.   This will just make finding mods that you need to upgrade easier.   Ask if you need help with some useful filters.
    7) Watch the video recommended by DaarthBrewer - watch the whole series - take notes.   Then watch it again.   It's still highly relevant.
    8) As you get better mods, upgrade your top characters with those - put the +25 speed mods on your GLs or key characters... then take their hopefully good mods and put them on your B-characters, etc.    It's trickle down economics...

Improving mods is a LONG game - marathon not sprint.   You should always be working on mods.   If your in a guild with Discord and Bots the OmegaBot has a useful /modscore command.    

That's a quick-ish summary but feel free to ask questions.