Forum Discussion

7 years ago

New player, level 52, need some advice.

Hello everyone,

I just started playing ( start of february ) and I need some advice. I started out with farming for the Phoenix squad, but then read somewhere they're not as good as everyone says..

So I stopped farming them, and I bought Darth Vader, Darth Sidious and Count Dooku.

Now my question is, who should I (continue to) farm, or who should I be focusing on, as I feel I'm currently farming too many different characters. Any additional help would also be appreciated.

Current characters (notable): Darth Vader (5) , Darth Sidious (4), Kylo ren (4), Count Dooku (4) Boba fett (4), KRU (2) - All Gear level 5, except Vader and Kylo lvl 6.

I also have the whole phoenix squad, all level 3 stars and Gear level 5.

Other characters I have unlocked: Luminara Unduli, Grand Moff Tarking, Sith marauder, Biggs Darklighter, ... Today I will unlock Stormtrooper Han and Lando ..

I haven't really been focussing on 1 squad, and I need some advice, help..

Thank you very much !
  • "Lupe;c-1466665" wrote:
    "Yerff_Caasi;c-1466408" wrote:
    All the advice you've been getting is quite sound.
    I'm only a couple months more experienced than you, but I would say that Phoenix is a safe bet to start. They are all-around great early- and mid-game. Great in GW, great in Arena, good for Palpatine and Thrawn events (Kanan and Ezra also work for Yoda event), and the best part: they are an easy farm.
    Now of course, easy is a relative term, but what I mean is that they come from different sources, so they can be farmed simultaneously, and some rather quickly. Zeb is in GW store, so that's 15 shards a day, if you win every day, and spend it all on him (which I would recommend). If you have him at 3*, you can get him to 7* in 3 weeks (and you really want at least one 7* character). Kanan is in Arena store, so also not a hard farm. If you are doing well in Arena, you should be able to star him up quickly as well. (I was getting roughly 15 shards per 2 days.) Farm Hera and Ezra from Cantina battles (I would do Hera up to 5* first, then Ezra), and you buy Chop shards with the tokens you earn from this farming. It's really a solid plan and if you keep up with it, you'll stay competitive in your Arena shard.
    One important thing I want to note is that you need to mod them properly. It took me ages to figure this out, but you want to mod them all with Speed primaries and secondaries, to get them as fast as possible, especially Ezra, Zeb, and Chop. This will keep you competitive in Arena for a while. That said, personally, I didn't mod Kanan for speed--I modded him with health and protection instead. So now I have a taunting super-tank that is also incredibly slow. Can you see why? His two turn taunt keeps the enemy focused on him for a long time. I found this useful.
    A word of Arena strategy: know your strengths. Personally I found that my Phx is fantastic against Nightsister squads. I can beat almost any of them. With my long Kanan taunt, the others are free for offense. Save Ezra and Chop's buff dispells for when Zombie taunts, and target the healers first (especially Old Daka). That is what works for me. I don't know if that will work for you too, but the point is, find a team you are good at beating, and look for these squads in your Arena shard. They will make stepping stones for you to climb the ladder.
    Now, the word of warning: Phoenix stops being viable in Arena in the early late-game. I realized this too late, and now I'm having to farm a new Arena team, while my Arena placement suffers. I would suggest that once you have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and the others to 5*, you start farming a new team. Your Sith team is probably a good thing to focus on for that replacement.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Gear Level. I would probably only take them to G7 or G8 before I start putting that gear toward my new Arena team.

Thank you so much for this helpful post and reply !

I will definetly keep all this in mind, this has been some good advice!

Some more questions to add on:

- Would you just straight out farm untill I have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and others to 5*, or when I get all 5*, go for the scoundrel team? As others have said it's important that I get them too.

- Another thing is that it seems that I am lacking behind in Arena (with PS at least).
    My PS is only like 10K power, while others in my bracket have PS with 16-20k power.
    Only my other Sith team can currently keep me a place in top 2000.
    Is this because I started farming them too late ? And is this a problem for in the future?

- And do you have any tips on how to find a Guild that does some activities for "new" players?
    Guilds are the one thing I really don't understand yet :)

But, even if you don't reply to this, thank you so much for you help !

I really appreciate it ! :)

I'm glad to be of help! :)

Regarding your first question, if your farm goes the way mine did, you will probably have Zeb and Kanan to 7* before the rest get to 5*. If that doesn't happen, I'd still recommend you farm at least one of them through to 7*--you need one of these ASAP!
    And Scoundrels are important, yes, but I don't think you should make them your primary focus ever. They should be a "side-farm." Only put the bear-minimum toward them--enough to win the stage of Heist that you've unlocked. Use what is leftover from your normal Phx farming, and if you focus on them at all, don't do it for more than a day or two.

I would say that your experience in Arena is fairly normal. I started farming them late myself, and I don't think it will be a problem in the future. No matter what squad you use, it's likely you will always see players with more GP than you, while others are equal or lower than you. Use the refresh in the upper left corner (NOT the one that costs crystals) liberally, and cherry-pick opponents that you feel you can beat. For me, I could beat most players that were 3-4K GP higher than me, but no Phx squads unless they were 4-5k below me. Then later on others got harder to beat, but NS still I can do to this day. So I would say stick with Phx, and they'll be good to you for quite a while. I would only make a change if you are falling or at a standstill in your shard, over an extended period. But I expect you will see some advancement before then, as you increase their GP. Now of course, everyone will have their own experience, because the opponents in each shard are different. I leveled off at about 200 in my Arena shard with Phx. I know someone else that only got to about 1000. It does vary some.

I actually know of a guild that might be good for you, if you are interested. If you post your ally code and make sure you aren't already in a guild, I'll see if I can get you in. They're very helpful, in advice and activities.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend posting here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/156690/players-looking-for-guilds-february-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting Follow the example in the first post, and say that you're a new player looking to learn and grow. You'll start getting invitations really quickly.
  • "Yerff_Caasi;c-1466899" wrote:
    "Lupe;c-1466665" wrote:

Regarding your first question, if your farm goes the way mine did, you will probably have Zeb and Kanan to 7* before the rest get to 5*. If that doesn't happen, I'd still recommend you farm at least one of them through to 7*--you need one of these ASAP!
    And Scoundrels are important, yes, but I don't think you should make them your primary focus ever. They should be a "side-farm." Only put the bear-minimum toward them--enough to win the stage of Heist that you've unlocked. Use what is leftover from your normal Phx farming, and if you focus on them at all, don't do it for more than a day or two.

I would say that your experience in Arena is fairly normal. I started farming them late myself, and I don't think it will be a problem in the future. No matter what squad you use, it's likely you will always see players with more GP than you, while others are equal or lower than you. Use the refresh in the upper left corner (NOT the one that costs crystals) liberally, and cherry-pick opponents that you feel you can beat. For me, I could beat most players that were 3-4K GP higher than me, but no Phx squads unless they were 4-5k below me. Then later on others got harder to beat, but NS still I can do to this day. So I would say stick with Phx, and they'll be good to you for quite a while. I would only make a change if you are falling or at a standstill in your shard, over an extended period. But I expect you will see some advancement before then, as you increase their GP. Now of course, everyone will have their own experience, because the opponents in each shard are different. I leveled off at about 200 in my Arena shard with Phx. I know someone else that only got to about 1000. It does vary some.

I actually know of a guild that might be good for you, if you are interested. If you post your ally code and make sure you aren't already in a guild, I'll see if I can get you in. They're very helpful, in advice and activities.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend posting here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/156690/players-looking-for-guilds-february-2018-read-rules-in-first-post-before-posting Follow the example in the first post, and say that you're a new player looking to learn and grow. You'll start getting invitations really quickly.

Hmm okay, I'll keep going with that plan then :D ( Farm PS to as high as possible :) )
    I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll keep them benched and level 1 for now and focus on PS.

I also always seem to be falling without crystals / sim tickets. Is this normal? And can I do anything to help this?

Yes the guild would be very nice ! I have no experience with Guilds whatsoever though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left) so I don't know if that's a problem.

My Ally code is: 352-118-412

Thank you so much ( and everyone else ) for helping me this much. I really appreciate it !

• "Yerff_Caasi;c-1466899" wrote:
    "Lupe;c-1466665" wrote:
    I'm only a couple months more experienced than you, but I would say that Phoenix is a safe bet to start. They are all-around great early- and mid-game. Great in GW, great in Arena, good for Palpatine and Thrawn events (Kanan and Ezra also work for Yoda event), and the best part: they are an easy farm.
    Now of course, easy is a relative term, but what I mean is that they come from different sources, so they can be farmed simultaneously, and some rather quickly. Zeb is in GW store, so that's 15 shards a day, if you win every day, and spend it all on him (which I would recommend). If you have him at 3*, you can get him to 7* in 3 weeks (and you really want at least one 7* character). Kanan is in Arena store, so also not a hard farm. If you are doing well in Arena, you should be able to star him up quickly as well. (I was getting roughly 15 shards per 2 days.) Farm Hera and Ezra from Cantina battles (I would do Hera up to 5* first, then Ezra), and you buy Chop shards with the tokens you earn from this farming. It's really a solid plan and if you keep up with it, you'll stay competitive in your Arena shard.
    One important thing I want to note is that you need to mod them properly. It took me ages to figure this out, but you want to mod them all with Speed primaries and secondaries, to get them as fast as possible, especially Ezra, Zeb, and Chop. This will keep you competitive in Arena for a while. That said, personally, I didn't mod Kanan for speed--I modded him with health and protection instead. So now I have a taunting super-tank that is also incredibly slow. Can you see why? His two turn taunt keeps the enemy focused on him for a long time. I found this useful.
    A word of Arena strategy: know your strengths. Personally I found that my Phx is fantastic against Nightsister squads. I can beat almost any of them. With my long Kanan taunt, the others are free for offense. Save Ezra and Chop's buff dispells for when Zombie taunts, and target the healers first (especially Old Daka). That is what works for me. I don't know if that will work for you too, but the point is, find a team you are good at beating, and look for these squads in your Arena shard. They will make stepping stones for you to climb the ladder.
    Now, the word of warning: Phoenix stops being viable in Arena in the early late-game. I realized this too late, and now I'm having to farm a new Arena team, while my Arena placement suffers. I would suggest that once you have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and the others to 5*, you start farming a new team. Your Sith team is probably a good thing to focus on for that replacement.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Gear Level. I would probably only take them to G7 or G8 before I start putting that gear toward my new Arena team.

- Would you just straight out farm untill I have Zeb and Kanan to 7*, and others to 5*, or when I get all 5*, go for the scoundrel team? As others have said it's important that I get them too.

- Another thing is that it seems that I am lacking behind in Arena (with PS at least).
    My PS is only like 10K power, while others in my bracket have PS with 16-20k power.
    Is this because I started farming them too late ? And is this a problem for in the future?

- And do you have any tips on how to find a Guild that does some activities for "new" players?

Thank you so much for helping me out. You're right, I'll focus on farming PS to the highest I can :)

I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll leave them benched and on level 1 for now.

The guild would be very nice! I have no experience in guilds though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left ) so I don't know if that's going to be a problem.
    My ally code is: 352-118-412

Again, thank you so much for helping me !

• "Lupe;c-1467030" wrote:
    "Yerff_Caasi;c-1466899" wrote:
    "Lupe;c-1466665" wrote:

Thank you so much for helping me out. You're right, I'll focus on farming PS to the highest I can :)

I already have Boba, Lando and STH unlocked, but I'll leave them benched and on level 1 for now.

The guild would be very nice! I have no experience in guilds though ( I was in one, but nothing seemed to happen so I left ) so I don't know if that's going to be a problem.
    My ally code is: 352-118-412

Again, thank you so much for helping me !

Well you have a great start to a scoundrel squad with those three! I don't even have Lando yet. :p

Ok, if you receive an invite from Imperial Remnantt, that's the guild I hope you can get into. :)

You're very welcome!
  • I'd still level/farm shards for at least boba while working on phoenix. Boba/Lando/STH are great, but they're not going to win much at level 1.
  • "Lupe;c-1467082" wrote:
    "Waqui;c-1467072" wrote:
    @Lupe

You will unlock ships soon (level 60). I would advice to start preparing by farming pilots — as a minimum by farming their hard nodes, where it doesn't conflict with purchases in various shops/shipments. Biggs and FOTP are must—haves. Boba Fett is great. I would farm their hard nodes every day disregarding what you choose to farm for squad arena. Jedi Consulor and Ahsoka are good — but not must—haves. Phoenix are goid as well, not must—haves fir the fleet arena, but they are required (along with other rebel ships) to unlock the best capital ship.

Thanks for your reply ! I currently have Biggs and Boba unlocked. I can't farm FOTP yet.. Because I'm not at 6-B or 6-D yet.. Is that a problem?
    Jedi Consular I also have..

You will be fine. Just keep him in mind when you unlock his nodes.

Good luck :—)
  • @Lupe ...to not overwhelm u..i will suggest only for arena
    Ur ps will help till lvl80 and hold ur rank in arena..so get them.
    Next u got a good sith team, they are very useful, only in later stages. Get savage, maul and nihilus as the other siths.
    Finally, end game to combat both sith and ps and rebel team (non cls) get rex and get him g.12 (note this is end game, where u get or are ready for cls and jtr).
    If u need any more advice, ping me.
    Ur set well fpr later arena. So dont worry.
    Concentrate on event toons (non marquee ones, unless u can spend lots of money to get marquee ones to 7*)

About SWGOH Strategy & Tips

Share guides, tips, and tricks for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, discuss Arena strats, and help new players get started.22,721 PostsLatest Activity: 28 days ago