Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Perhaps you haven't tried them... *in-depth squad review*

At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag, I'm going to do just that. In my opinion, and as a guy with 6 accounts, having tried every synergy in the game and having reached rank 1 on 2 of them, I feel I have developed a good understanding of how all the possible troop synergies work together, and I will say unabashedly, that I believe this to the be the absolute best squad combination in the game. For those of you who know about this squad, then you know exactly what squad I'm about to mention, if you're still wondering, chances are you haven't tried them, and I implore you; don't judge them until you've completely owned the game with them. I'm talking about Ewoks. Yes, the furry little creatures that almost ruined the final installment of the original trilogy are back, and this time, you should give them a chance. There is only one way of describing this synergy, and that is complete turn meter manipulation. While I admit, I have little data how they perform on defense, I will attest that between the combined might of Chief Chirpa, Teebo, Ewok Elder, and Ewok Scout, they have (in my humble opinion) the single strongest synergy in the game. How, you might ask? Only 1 of them does particularly decent damage, and that is the Ewok Scout, so you're not going to burn teams down with them inside of a minute. This is a 1000 tiny bites squad. The other team quite simply is left standing with their private parts in their hands, much the same as the overly-chunky kid at a dodgeball game in 3rd grade; relegated to sit on the sidelines and watch as their teammates are plucked off in a precision-style attack second only to a team of Navy SEALS storming a crack-house. To be perfectly honest, I am not entirely comfortable placing this review online for all to see, as I would prefer Capital Games not re-evaluate them and ultimately nerf them back to mere mortals. That said, let's get on with it.

First up on the list: Chief Chirpa
Strong Suits: Fantastic leader buffs, frequent attacker, status effect infliction (more on this later), speed increasing attack, turn meter removal, and effective, long lasting heals over time with counter-attack buff.
Weak Points: Lower health, mild damage

Second up: Teebo
Strong Suits: Great leader talents but ultimately unnecessary, very high health, high enemy turn meter removal, reliable enemy buff removal, high turn meter generation for other Ewoks.
Weak Points: Very low damage, stealth takes a lot of turns to become available again.

Third up on the list: Ewok Elder
Strong Suits: Reliable debuff removal with adequate healing ability, resurrection ability, high turn meter generation, mild-moderate damage, moderately high health.
Weak Points: Very long cool down for resurrection ability, although this is mitigated to a high degree from heal (which also resurrects not one but multiples), and while he has decent health, he is probably the keystone of this team, if he goes down, you may still win, but it will be difficult.

Last up: Ewok Scout
Strong Suits: Frequent, higher damage attacks with one nuke attack when needed, very high evasion since the addition of Chief Chirpa, moderately reliable enemy turn meter removal.
Weak Points: Moderate health pool, though this is mitigated by evasion chance.

These 4 characters are a very strong team alone, even without adding a 5th team member, not to mention a 6th borrowed character in single player missions. With that, let's move on to possible team members, the strategy will be discussed a bit later, and keep in mind that these are my personal favorites, your mileage may vary.

My first choice for 5th Team Member: Royal Guard
I'm aware that RG may not be the best 5th member for arena when you're high up on the ladder in the top 10 or close, but in this squad, he absolutely shines because the other team simply doesn't get many shots at him, and having a crazy health pool with only a few attacks actually hitting him make him my favorite choice for clearing 27k GW every time without losing a single character, every day. This group can also clear all cantina battles without breaking a sweat, WAY ahead of their theoretical limit.

2nd Choice 5th Team Member: Stormtrooper Han
STH is a great addition to the Ewoks, as his turn meter generation synergies essentially turn him into a wellspring of turn meter generation for his furry friends, while simultaneously removing turn meter from the enemy. While he is admittedly not as hearty as his empire peer above, he is still more than tough enough to endure what amounts to very little damage from enemy fire. His damage, while generally unimportant, is at least on-par with Ewok Scout's basic attack.

3rd Choice 5th Team Member: CT-5555 "Fives"
Fives brings an incredibly reliable slow to your group of care-bears. The Ewoks don't "nuke" anybody, so the fight is always a fairly long one. Using Fives as your 5th member, you will basically have the entire enemy team slowed around halfway through the match, making it that much easier to wreck them with attack after relentless attack.

To clarify, you can use quite literally any 5th member for this squad, some characters I have not had the chance to try, so feel free to substitute and try new things, because I can almost guarantee that you will not lose. I am quite excited to see any other combinations you may come up with. You will notice that I did not include Luminara or any other healers in my favorites, and the reason for that is you simply don't need them. Chirpa and Elder are more than enough to keep this groups health maxed, when handled correctly.

Now, on to the fun! I'm going to link some videos of some recent exploits so that you can see them in action if you haven't had the pleasure yourself. In the first 3 videos, I am simply attacking the last 3 of my latest Galactic War in order to show the level of survivability they have. Note that I completed the entire previous 9 battles with the same squad. In the 4th video, I am attacking a much higher opponent in Squad Arena; almost 6000 squad power higher than me, in fact

Here is my team, note that I'm not maxed, I'm fielding a paltry 21,528 squad power, but also note the teams that I pit them against and how effective they are.

http://i.imgur.com/IZ3SRQT.png
http://i.imgur.com/F9DbSCT.png
http://i.imgur.com/bBRU84U.png
http://i.imgur.com/orAkjot.png
http://i.imgur.com/ahhcql6.png

***************************************************************************************************
and the videos (please mute these videos, as I did not realize I was recording live audio, nothing interesting here but bumps and static, move along) :-P
***************************************************************************************************

https://youtu.be/7bPSXAVP9yg
https://youtu.be/OrFGFx17j8c
https://youtu.be/692CtUoCm5U

the Squad Arena battle:

https://youtu.be/JfxLBhoTLBI

The Strategy:
Watching each of these videos, you will notice complete turn meter domination by the Ewok squad. With Chirpa as lead, all Ewoks gain 20% turn meter instantly simply by using their basic attack. On top of this, the Ewok Elder benefits everyone by adding 50% turn meter to all other Ewoks, the Ewok Scout has a chance to deprive his target of 50% turn meter, while Teebo (while stealthed) can deprive his target of a whopping 75% turn meter with every shot. In the event of a tank taunt, Teebo can clear it and reduce the target's turn meter. Royal Guard stuns reliably with a very high 80% chance of stun proc, and Chirpa can use his Tribal Unity ability in order to have his entire team attack a single target, thus having a chance to stun, slow, remove enemy turn meter, and add friendly turn meter all in one shot while dealing decent damage, and giving all team members Speed Up. If that weren't enough, the retaliation buff from Chirpa's heal is a great way to set an enemy up for a swift beating if they use an AoE attack. The key idea is to keep enemy turn meter as close to zero as possible. It's a numbers game, even when they do attack, it's usually the result of having to wait a very long time to do so. Less attacks means less damage, and we want to prolong the fight as long as possible in order to put the enemy team at an even greater disadvantage. That's where the low damage kicks in. Yes you may not annihilate an enemy character right off the bat, but that subtle delay allows you to use special skills more often, and in the event of a difficult fight, multiple heals and res's may be used in order to recover from unanticipated hardships, as was demonstrated in the arena fight.

In closing, I will let you draw your own conclusions from what you have seen here and what we have discussed. Ewoks are clearly one of the most powerful synergies of the game; indeed (in my estimation) perhaps the most powerful of all of them. All it takes is dedication to starring them up and getting over the fact that they are indeed, Ewoks. I hope this has helped some of you on the fence about them. Have fun and GoH on!

TL:DR: I believe the Ewok Synergy to be the most effective squad combination in the game today.