Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Zeta Mats (Fleet Shipments vs Ability Challenges)

So, like many of you, I've been wondering if it's better to get zeta mats from fleet shipments or to upgrade my ships faster. Unlike many of you, I'm an obsessive math nerd, so here goes. (this line was meant as a joke, please don't take offense)

THIS MATH IS CURRENTLY OUTDATED DUE TO INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS, PLEASE SEE MY POST AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE 2. I'm not interested in hiding my mistakes, so I'm going to leave this post to keep the flow of conversation in a state that makes sense.

Currency Gains:
GW: 1200 / day = 12 blueprints / day
FS: 1300 / day = 13 blueprints / day
Other Energy: 1 blueprint / day (I think this is optimistic considering my drop rate, but ymmv)
~26 blueprints / day

We need 8 5* ships to get zeta mats from challenges. That's 145 blueprints per ship, for 1160 blueprints total. I currently have 272 blueprints between my top 8 ships.

(1160-272) / 26 ~= 34 days to get all the necessary blueprints, spending FS on blueprints.
(1160-272) / 13 ~= 68 days to get all the necessary blueprints, not spending FS on blueprints.
Therefore, spending FS on blueprints gets you 34 more days on the ability challenges.

(34 / 7 ) * 3 * 2 ~= 29 attempts
This means that if you're spending FS on blueprints, you get 29 more attempts at the zeta tier ability challenge.

That may sound like a lot, but the method spending FS on zeta mats has had 34 days of spending zeta mats. In that time frame:

(34 * 1300) / 2000 = 22.1 zeta mats.

So, those of you whom are maxing ships first are essentially trading 29 attempts at zeta mats... for 22 zeta mats. Of course, this math changes if you have more blueprints than me. I only bought two ship packs (and would trade back both of them...).

tl;dr: If you're F2P (or even a dolphin with similar blueprint count), and it makes more sense to just get the mats.