Forum Discussion

IreneSwift
Seasoned Newcomer
7 years ago

Biography

What does it take for a sim to be able to write a biography? One of my sims has the opportunity to write a biography about his former boss and best friend. On his day off from work, he spent hours on the phone chatting with him, but no option came up on the computer to write a biography. I finally had him invite him over, and he chatted him up for at least two or three hours more, but still has no option to write a biography. I know I've had sims do it before, but I don't remember it ever being this much of a hassle.
    IreneSwift
    Seasoned Newcomer
    @venusdemilosims I remember a long ago sim who wrote a biography for someone without even having to chat with the other sim beforehand. Her relationship with the other sim was very high. My current sim's relationship with the subject of the biography was at 100% before he was offered the opportunity, so I was expecting it to be as easy as that other sim in the past.

Carl's says the skill level for a biography is level 3. It doesn't really make any sense for the game to offer it to a sim when they don't have the skill for it, but his writing skill was at 5 or 6 when I tried to get him started on it. So it shouldn't have been a problem in that respect.

So something seems to just not be working as it should. Maybe it was because I waited so long after he accepted the opportunity before trying to get him started on it. I will wait until he reaches level 10 in the medical career, when hopefully he will be home more. By then his writing skill will be higher too. Then I will try giving him the opportunity with MC, and see if he can manage to do it then.

Thank you, guys for your suggestions.
  • It should just show up under the writing categories. Thats how I remember it happening. Maybe try cancelling the opportunity and giving it back with MC?
    IreneSwift
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I know it should have been in the writing menu, but I even looked through the entire computer menu too, and it wasn't anywhere. I did decide to cancel it after I posted. Writing is only his hobby. His career is in medicine. He had the biography opportunity for almost a whole sim week before I tried to have him do it, because it was more important for him to bring up his logic skill to the level he needed for his career level. So maybe that was it?

I might try giving it back to him later, when I can have him get to it without so much delay. He is getting called in for emergencies so much, I don't think I'm going to make him stay in the medical career until retirement. Writing books is one of the potential second careers I'm considering for him.
  • It's been awhile since my sim wrote a biography of someone, but I think they have to have a fairly strong relationship and the author has to be high level in writing skill, might even be maxed don't remember.
    IreneSwift
    Seasoned Newcomer
    My sim was just offered the opportunity to write a biography of the same friend again. He already had a novel in progress, but just to find out if it would work this time, after I saved the game for the sim night, I got him back up and sent him to cancel writing the current novel. After he did, I selected writing again, and the biography was available this time. Unfortunately, he won't get the chance to write it. I'm moving them to another town when they wake up the next sim morning.