Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Dumb Question but.....

What happens when you play a bad save? Will it harm your computer or your game? Can you make a bad save...good?

Thanks in advance
  • We have to assume the OP has NRaas Traveler in play. There wouldn't be any way to vacation to those that are not WA (or Uni, ITF) worlds without it. Hopefully they have Overwatch and ErrorTrap in play as well.

They are for some reason unable to complete the travel transition at the point described. As I've already stated, some worlds are just too large and complicated for the game to manage. Others (some custom worlds in particular) are just not going to work with Traveler at all, due to design imperfections.
  • "igazor;c-17336051" wrote:
    When a save is deemed "bad" by the game, it means that it is not complete or has gone corrupt. Not complete means that the system ran out of usable resources during the save process (usually resulting in an Error12), so data that could be critical to the running of that save again would be missing. Corrupt means that data has been deemed to be landing in the wrong places thus providing a game that if loadable would be all mixed up or just wouldn't run properly; once this starts happening the data corruption tends to just get worse. Think of a saved game as a tremendously huge spreadsheet or database, where much of the data is garbled or unfortunately landing in the wrong columns.

In theory, yes one can remove the .bad suffix and try to load a bad save. No harm would come to our computers, but chances are that the save just wouldn't load or it would be total garbage to play. If the goal is to get the save loaded just long enough to extract let's say one sim or household from it, then the extracted elements could still be incomplete or corrupt and mess up another game session/save into which they may be inserted. I would never risk trying this.

And sorry, one has to work pretty hard to find or construct them but there are examples of dumb questions (this isn't one of them). Here's a few:
    "How long is a piece of string?"
    "Answer me please, are you asleep?"
    "What is the actual point of drinking coffee"? (this one is admittedly a bit subjective)
    "Why does (sibling's name) get to do everything just because they are older?"
    :)

LOLOL

"Answer me please, are you asleep?" Oh, no, I'm guilty!
    "What is the actual point of drinking coffee"? (this one is admittedly a bit subjective) It's to punish your taste buds, as far as I can tell. (I'm sure alternative forms of caffeine are not hard to obtain.)
    "Why does (sibling's name) get to do everything just because they are older?" That's not a dumb question at all! BTW, I'm an only child but I stand by that.
  • Why do bad saves happen? I'm trying to send my Sims on vacation to celebrate their anniversary. First to Barcelona, then to Setra. Is the size of the world that cause the dreaded "Error 12"?
  • "Turjan;c-17336061" wrote:
    Your game just runs out of memory. Make sure you use a freshly started game before you travel, and after you arrive, save once more and restart the game again. This usually shaves off a few 100 MB of used memory.

You mean start over in a new world? Or use an old save?
  • When I click on the game folders, they have every world I ever visited saved inside. Is it safe to remove or delete those?

• I don't think those are dumb questions, igazor. It seems to me the asker is a child and very curious about string and sibling rivalry. I can answer all those questions.

1. Depends on the length of the string.
    2. I am now!
    3. For the flavor and to help stay awake while at work.
    4. As we age we gain more privileges and more responsibilities.
  • Have you ever tried to send your Sims on vacation? I did, as you know. But the game loaded for a long time. I fell asleep. And then somehow, I wound up back at the main menu? The Sims' regular home is featured on the picture, not the vacation world.
  • *cough* typed a super long paragraph about vacations when I reread the previous post... so all I shall say now is...

@ilikethesims30 do you have Nraas Traveler? It's recommended to get if you travel as it prevents many issues. @igazor could explain it better why it's important.