Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Package File Icons

Really would appreciate some help. I am setting up my new computer and installing all my Sims files. However, I cannot remember how I made some changes to the package icons and was hoping someone might have the answer.

I have always changed the package icons so instead of being the white sheet of paper w/ the folded corner I instead change it to a different .ico file. Since it has been a while since I changed it I can not remember which extension to change using the FileTypeMan tool.
  • My package files are autoset to open in S3PE, which is a wildly popular TS3 package editing program and thus that is the file icon they display. But it doesn't really matter to the game. If you have a different game/program that uses the same file extension type (such as TS4 for example) then you will likely get a different than maybe expected icon for at least some of them, meaning depending on which game you are working with at the moment.

The games themselves don't care what the icon or auto-open file settings are, they will read TS3 package files (or TS4 ones, etc.) and use them exactly the same even if they have the blank paper or some other icon showing.
  • The file extension is .package and the file type is package_auto_file

It stands to reason that you wouldn't have the extension already listed in the FileType tool right now as the blank piece of paper icon suggests an unknown (to Windows) file type. So in that case you would need to add it in manually or make some kind of "open with" file association first.
  • Well, that was really easy. Idk how I had it set up last time but looks like I was making it a lot more complicated than necessary. Thank you so much for your help!!
  • Thank you Igazor for responding. I did consider just using S3PE but I really would like to use a particular icon, the same one I was using before so it's easier for me to identify. I have been scrolling through the list of file extensions on the FileTypeMan tool and cannot figure out which one I should change. Any suggestions on which one I should be looking for on the list?