Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Science Research Station Issues

Has anyone had problems using the science station, particularly cloning things?

My sim has mastered the science skill and can analyze anything. But many samples cannot be cloned because "The subject is too large and won't fit in the Science Research Station." This includes wonderpetals, wolfsbane flowers, glow orbs, DNA samples (at home, not at University), large space rocks, gigantic space rocks. (You wouldn't think a gigantic space rock was possible, but I've had a sim in a different game do it before.) My sim can research the samples in question, but not clone them. Rubies and death flowers work fine though.

Many seeds cannot be used in the gene splicing experiment because they are "too large" to fit. I also have problems doing herb, gene splicing, and horticulture experiments with some things (like the wonderpetal above, which is perfect quality and grown by my sim).

And, as I mentioned before, my sim cannot clone himself, or any sim, at home either.

If anyone has had similar problems, do you know of any fix?

Thanks.
  • I haven't had this problem, but one thing I'd try is deleting it, then buying it again in buydebug.
  • I've tried buying a new one several times. And the one I'm talking about is in the normal buy mode.
  • Oh, sorry, it's been quite a while, I confused it with the Group Science Project. I hesitate to suggest it, but every time something (or someSim) gets wonky in a save, the old "move household to bin & move 'em back again" thing seems to fix a lot of wonkiness...
  • Yeah, I hate to suggest that too. :) Maybe it's something I'll try when my sim gets back from University.

edit: well, I evicted the family to the clipboard and moved them back. That didn't help. Then I started a new game and chose a random sim, gave him level 10 in the science skill with NRaas MasterController and he had many of the same issues, but not all (he could clone his DNA sample, but certain herbs and alchemy ingredients could not be used in any capacity).

Finally, I removed my Mods folder and ran the game without custom content, started yet another new game, and that sim had the issues with certain herbs and alchemy ingredients. Didn't try cloning his DNA though.

Seems like EA bugginess in some cases, and probably game specific bugginess in others.
  • Ok, There is a deal with the Science station some plants are too large as seeds to clone, For instance I couldn't cloned a death flower or life fruit seed, this is because these are special seeds however there is a way around it I noticed what ever form you clone them in they will appear and they have to be able to fit in box. So if you clone them as a seed they will be a seed when you try to clone them. In order to get around that grow the life fruit and harvest it now take the sample of the life fruit and you can now clone the life fruit that was too big as seed. I have also noticed UL and Supernatural don't like to work together except for their weather stone. The UL plants should work under the science machine in harvest mode. Any unknown seed has to be known before the machine can create clone so if you pick up a Unknown seed your have to plant it to discover what it is and get the proper fruit from it. Also Crystal plants can't be cloned either.

The only things that work in UL science machine is. The stuff from the store and not from Supernatural and ITF as those mushroom and other plants are used in spells. However, you may not be able to clone them you may be able to make the samples better quality.

Edit: Life fruit and all other plants can be cloned and horicholed in their mature state. Some small seeds can be holoculted and cloned from seeds.

All plants can be cloned from a sample, here is the catch, you take sample as a seed your get a seed. you take a sample as a fruit you get a fruit. You must be level 7 and up in gardening to get the life fruit seed and yes the Omi plant and Death flower can be cloned but not gene spliced or holoculted as they are already perfect.
  • The problem I have is that some fruit (not seeds) cannot be cloned, pumpkins for example. Also some herbs cannot be cloned from a sample (the grown herb, not seeds). Wonderpetal and ginseng cannot be cloned or used in the science station in any way, they "too large." Of all things, the herbs that came in UL should all work. Some stuff from Supernatural works - grown white caps. But others, like grown wolfsbane flower and mandrake root, do not. It doesn't make any sense to me.
  • I've had no problem with wonderpedle in the science station with cloning on my other sim game, its just the other sim game I don't play anymore because it has the death corruption when a sim die the game freezes.
  • Ok. Sounds like a problem with my game. I tried removing all mods, cleared caches, started w/o CC, and created a new game, got the sim up to level 10 in science, but still could not do anything with the wonderpetal or ginseng.