Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Unrecognised Graphics Card

Hello,
I bought a new computer recently which has AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, I tried to play The Sims 3 and it came up with the 'Unrecognised Video Card' error, (this also happened with The Sims 4 and The Sims Medieval before on this computer).

I followed this guide: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26753.0 to try and fix it, but I struggled when it came to Part Two of the guide, when I had to edit the GraphicsRules.sgr file.

Please could somebody help me with regards to this part of the guide? Or if there's any other way to get my game to recognise my card? Thanks so much!
  • I can help you with that as can a few others here, but prefer to do so by way of PM because players have all different graphics cards and the instructions will break games if applied the wrong way on the wrong cards. I also have a simpler preferred method, the one linked to will work too but it's overly complicated. If you PM me with a copy/paste of the first 40 lines or so of the DeviceConfig.log (might show up as just DeviceConfig, but it's the same file) from your current TS3 user game file in Documents, that will give us what we need. Not the long lists of game options, the sections in the beginning before all of that.

Note though that formal card recognition is not typically necessary. An unrecognized card will still get used properly (or not) the same as if recognized, though it tends to start out with the "wrong" defaults.

I will also point out that the Vega 8 is an integrated graphics chip. You can't really get the same performance out of that as players on dedicated graphics cards can. If you have the heavier TS3 EPs in play (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF), chances are performance will be weak and there may be barriers to successful gameplay.
  • I have the same graphics card as zagboorules and was wondering if anyone could help me as well!!