Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Again: A Color Wheel.

With more games entering the simulation arena, it's obvious that a color wheel is possible.
Why is the Sims 4 not implementing one? I do not know.
But, I think there may be a few reasons:

- User (or there lack of) friendliness.
- People have outdated computers they can't afford to upgrade just 'cause Sims 4.
.....? Other reasons.

Hear me out though.

What if the Sims 4 created a smaller, separate application for editing CAS and objects outside the game, that would allow users who a) know how to use the color wheel function and b) have the proper set up to run said application on their computers.

That way it wouldn't bog down the game (which I believe was the number one complaint about it in Sims 3.)

Again, just a suggestion. But seeing other games implement color wheel and so much more, I think the Sims 4 could do us justice and add something like this. I understand that Sims 4 was made to be easier on the computer, graphics wise, but a lot of us spent a lot of money on our computers for the Sims 3, and to take a step back with customization has always been a complaint with this generation of Sims, too.
    SEREFRAS
    Seasoned Hotshot
    Sims 3 had Color Wheel & Sims 4 Cats & Dogs have Color Wheel. So, it's possible, but maybe the game developers don't want to put it in the game or that they got a big no from the mean publishers. Who knows.
  • I am probably one of the very few people who didn't like the colour wheel. It limited the type of textures used on an object to seamless patterns and then some of those seamless patterns were a bit blurry or not so seamless. It was also slow to load when recolouring, and also during gameplay when moving the camera and going from place to place. Maybe they could release a program that allowed for easy recolouring of objects and CAS items outside the game. They had one for TS2 CAS.
  • Part of the fun and challenge is to create a build or outfit out of what's available, and to try new looks now and again. With colour wheels, it just makes things too easy which leads into just sticking to what works.
  • TS4 definitely should have shipped with a BodyShop equivalent, since they were going back to limited swatches instead of continuing with Create-A-Style. I think the only reason why they didn't do so is because some suit at EA was like, "But if we give them the ability to create infinite recolors of base game content, then they'll be less motivated to buy DLC!" (Which is totally bogus, because the DLC still comes with new meshes for hair, clothes, and objects...) And, you know what? I'd be quite happy to see BodyShop make a return. I used to spend hours upon hours recoloring hair styles, eyes, skins, and clothing and putting my favorite anime characters on T-shirts in that thing!

If they REALLY want to appeal to that 12-18-year-old female demographic, an upgraded version of BodyShop that allows for custom recolors of CAS and Build/Buy objects would definitely heighten this game's appeal to that audience. Most girls, from the nerdiest to the most mainstream, love to customize things. We alter our clothes, we dye our hair, we paint our nails, we get tattoos and piercings (sometimes behind our parents' backs...), we hang lights and/or flower garlands on our beds, many of us go through a "put stickers on everything" phase...That's why TS4 needs its own version of BodyShop, as well as paintable ceilings (because the plain, white default ceilings don't work for anything that's not emulating some cheaply build, lazily designed modern building ). If you want to appeal to a female demographic, customization is a feature that's more than worth investing time and money into.
  • A colour wheel would be better for hair colour, eye colour and skin tone while something like TS2’s Body Shop would be better for clothing and build-buy swatches.

Outdated computers is less of an excuse now that 32 bit clients are relegated to Legacy.
  • "jessidollkid;d-976201" wrote:
    With more games entering the simulation arena, it's obvious that a color wheel is possible.
    Why is the Sims 4 not implementing one? I do not know.
    But, I think there may be a few reasons:

- User (or there lack of) friendliness.
    - People have outdated computers they can't afford to upgrade just 'cause Sims 4.
    .....? Other reasons.

Hear me out though.

What if the Sims 4 created a smaller, separate application for editing CAS and objects outside the game, that would allow users who a) know how to use the color wheel function and b) have the proper set up to run said application on their computers.

That way it wouldn't bog down the game (which I believe was the number one complaint about it in Sims 3.)

Again, just a suggestion. But seeing other games implement color wheel and so much more, I think the Sims 4 could do us justice and add something like this. I understand that Sims 4 was made to be easier on the computer, graphics wise, but a lot of us spent a lot of money on our computers for the Sims 3, and to take a step back with customization has always been a complaint with this generation of Sims, too.

If it was doable I expect someone would have come up with it by now but it's a nice idea.

I remember somebody wrote a small program to change all the roof colours for Sims 1. Happy days!
  • "crocobaura;c-17515748" wrote:
    I am probably one of the very few people who didn't like the colour wheel. It limited the type of textures used on an object to seamless patterns and then some of those seamless patterns were a bit blurry or not so seamless. It was also slow to load when recolouring, and also during gameplay when moving the camera and going from place to place. Maybe they could release a program that allowed for easy recolouring of objects and CAS items outside the game. They had one for TS2 CAS.

I don't like colour wheels either. I wouldn't be surprised it eventually comes, but I hope not. I really don't like the feature. It takes longer to match colours with other stuff and I prefer swatches. I'm concerned that if they released a colour wheel they'd stop giving us many swatches. I kinda hated using it in earlier versions (Forget if it was 2, 3 or both that had it, I tried to avoid it haha)
  • "KaeChan2089;c-17516066" wrote:
    "SimAlexandria;c-17516059" wrote:
    "crocobaura;c-17515748" wrote:
    I am probably one of the very few people who didn't like the colour wheel. It limited the type of textures used on an object to seamless patterns and then some of those seamless patterns were a bit blurry or not so seamless. It was also slow to load when recolouring, and also during gameplay when moving the camera and going from place to place. Maybe they could release a program that allowed for easy recolouring of objects and CAS items outside the game. They had one for TS2 CAS.

I don't like colour wheels either. I wouldn't be surprised it eventually comes, but I hope not. I really don't like the feature. It takes longer to match colours with other stuff and I prefer swatches. I'm concerned that if they released a colour wheel they'd stop giving us many swatches. I kinda hated using it in earlier versions (Forget if it was 2, 3 or both that had it, I tried to avoid it haha)

You can always not use it and use swatches, because many people (myself included) neeeedd it.

OH and let it be for skintones too

you can not bother with create-a-style.

But please, let it be for hairs, eyes and skintone ;-; I'm begging you.

Haha well it's not my personal say ;)
    I'm fine with ignoring it and having it in game as if they ever got it, it didn't keep popping up... like just make a small button somewhere to click IF we want to open it, and if they still give every object as many swatches as they do now (or more haha) instead of getting lazy about it thinking we can just do it ourselves now.
    I think using it for skin tones/hairs/eyes might be an issue though as far as it messing up genetics.
  • "KaeChan2089;c-17516077" wrote:
    "SimAlexandria;c-17516072" wrote:
    "KaeChan2089;c-17516066" wrote:
    "SimAlexandria;c-17516059" wrote:
    "crocobaura;c-17515748" wrote:

You can always not use it and use swatches, because many people (myself included) neeeedd it.

OH and let it be for skintones too

you can not bother with create-a-style.

But please, let it be for hairs, eyes and skintone ;-; I'm begging you.

Haha well it's not my personal say ;)
    I'm fine with ignoring it and having it in game as if they ever got it, it didn't keep popping up... like just make a small button somewhere to click IF we want to open it, and if they still give every object as many swatches as they do now (or more haha) instead of getting lazy about it thinking we can just do it ourselves now.
    I think using it for skin tones/hairs/eyes might be an issue though as far as it messing up genetics.

Hm? Why would it mess up genes? just curious..

Because it's too many options. I don't know how it'd work but I know I've heard of CC messing up genetics and I have a feeling this would do the same. If it didn't, then fine, it doesn't matter to me really as long as the swatch system is just as good still so it's easily ignorable and I don't have to use it haha.