Forum Discussion

olicait
New Spectator
6 years ago

BLOGSPOT HELP

So I have a blog and I CANNOT figure out how to add "next" and "previous" to my posts and it's really annoying because I have over 140 posts!!! Please help me!
  • @OliCait, I just noticed you'd included the URL for your blog in another post. I checked it out, and I think the issue is that you have posts set to "infinite scroll." That works great for people who blog about random things but doesn't work well for a story format because everything ends up in reverse order. If you turn off infinite scroll (or whatever it's called on Blogspot), you'll probably get the "next post" links automatically. Then I'd suggest adding an index of your posts in order so new readers can easily find the beginning of the story.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Look in "settings" under "reading" and, if you can't find "infinite scroll," there should be something that lets you set how many posts can be seen on a page. If you set it to "1 post," that should do it as well.
    olicait
    New Spectator
    "LilyParker;c-17086752" wrote:
    @OliCait, I just noticed you'd included the URL for your blog in another post. I checked it out, and I think the issue is that you have posts set to "infinite scroll." That works great for people who blog about random things but doesn't work well for a story format because everything ends up in reverse order. If you turn off infinite scroll (or whatever it's called on Blogspot), you'll probably get the "next post" links automatically. Then I'd suggest adding an index of your posts in order so new readers can easily find the beginning of the story.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Look in "settings" under "reading" and, if you can't find "infinite scroll," there should be something that lets you set how many posts can be seen on a page. If you set it to "1 post," that should do it as well.

Thank You XX I managed to change coding but I may also use this!
  • "OliCait;d-959932" wrote:
    So I have a blog and I CANNOT figure out how to add "next" and "previous" to my posts and it's really annoying because I have over 140 posts!!! Please help me!

Hi. I can feel your frustration. I'm a fellow blogger on WordPress. I used to use Blogger/Blogspot years ago but don't remember much about setup details. Usually, those types of options are tied to whatever theme you're using and there's some help available from the theme's creator. It's not always obvious, though. It took me a while to get my WordPress blog set up the way I like it.

I hope a current Blogger user can help you. It might be helpful to share the name of the theme you're using. I wish you the best of luck!
  • "OliCait;c-17088293" wrote:
    Thank You XX I managed to change coding but I may also use this!

Hi @OliCait,
    I see that you've requested feedback on your blog in another post. I think you'll need to add some navigation help if you want to encourage people to read your blog. It's difficult at this point to find the beginning of your story, and some people may want to do so. Navigating from one post to the next is also awkward. (I don't mean to sound critical. Please know I'm just trying to help. Every new blogger goes through this; I certainly did.)

I clicked on February in your sidebar so I could view the first post. Unfortunately, I'm not able to load the story properly, and I think it's because there's no break in between your posts (i.e., you're using infinite scroll as I mentioned in my earlier post). If you check behind the spoiler, you'll see what's on my screen. The text to your story isn't visible, only the pictures.

Spoiler
    https://i.imgur.com/slgrQrU.jpg

I subscribe to multiple blogs and have no issues loading the screens even with lots of large pictures. The difference is that most blogs only allow one post to be shown on a page. In February, you have 40 posts on one page. And because of how the blog is set up, Day 40 shows up at the top. Readers would have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to Day 1.

Adding an index would enable your readers to start at the beginning and then easily find their place again when they return. To do so, you'd need to add a page to your header. Then you can list the posts in chronological order, including hyperlinks to each post. Doing that also allows readers to decide which posts they want to read. Maybe they love holidays in the sims and want to read those posts in particular (like Thanksgiving in Brindleton - Day 40).

You can see an example of an Index on my blog if you're interested: https://lilyparkersimschallenges.wordpress.com/index/

It's a lot of work to create a blog, and it's not as much fun if no one reads it. It's up to us to make it easy for our readers.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.