Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Build Order?

Hi Sims 4 Lot gurus! I just wanted to get some tips on how to build lots in a methodical way.

Right now, I'm assuming the best way to build is this:

Walls > Doors > Windows > Lighting > Furniture/Objects > Floor > Wallpaper > Decorations > Roof

Is that close? I'm curious if you folks have a build order, and if so, in what order do you do them. Also curious if you don't have a build order, and just wing-it. I'm hungry for tips as I'm starting to build more lots that have stories in them.
  • "misscbong;c-16437325" wrote:
    I, personally, use floor plans when I being a build. I love working off actual floor plans so I get a better realistic layout and flow to my builds. From there I start with the walls and rooms one the main floor, then the second, then I add the roof to complete the basic shell. From there I go on to the windows, doors and siding, and begin the layout for the exterior landscaping and design. Then I do the furniture and much of the decorating. Lately, I have been leaving the flooring and wall colours to the end, so I have an idea of the colour scheme of the rooms. Not all floor flatter certain furniture or wall decor, so I leave that to the end.

When you say floor plans, do you mean actual sketches or drawings?
  • Thanks all!

I was watching Deligracy and made notes on how she builds her amazing creations. At a glance it looks like this:

• EXTERIOR

• Shape of building (Walls)
      • Doors and Windows (ext)
      • Roof
      • Landscaping (ext)
      • Wallpaper (ext)

• INTERIOR

• Walls and Doors (Floor plan)
      • Placeholder Lights
      • Flooring
      • Furnishing: Basics (room by room)
      • Furnishing: Details/Accents (room by room)
      • Wallpaper
      • Specific Lighting

Yikes! A list, you say. But I enjoy me some lists.
  • "misscbong;c-16439321" wrote:
    @nastyjman - I mean I find house floor plans online, used for architecture and building actual houses :)

That's awesome! I may have to look at some just to understand the flow of things.