Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Dollhouse Challenge

I read an article on Kotaku about the new trend of dollhouse style builds. What does the challenge/trend consist of though? Some of them just look like regular rooms to me... >_> I hopped on the Strangerville tiny trailer home wagon, so I want to try this one too. I don't know what the parameters are though.
  • "Dannydanbo;c-17021546" wrote:
    I don't find this interesting. What happens during winter with no wall along one side of the house? They could freeze to death.

>_>

<_<

I thought people were just editing walls out.
  • "QueenMercy;c-17021814" wrote:
    "Dannydanbo;c-17021546" wrote:
    I don't find this interesting. What happens during winter with no wall along one side of the house? They could freeze to death.

>_>

<_<

I thought people were just editing walls out.

For real!! I see so many of these on the sims subreddit and thought they were just cut walls. But I bet they’re making them for the screenshot, doubt everyone is actually living in it, maybe a portion is but I highly doubt everyone is. I guess for those who played the original it gives some serious TS1 vibes to do this
  • I got the impression that it has all four walls, but the home is only one room wide, such as you see in a dollhouse.
  • I have tested this. I will upload pics later, since I am at work and do not have access to pics. I made an adorable little dollhouse. One room wide, no walls on one side. The only problem I found with this is the game lighting. Because there is no wall it makes all the lights act like outside lights. It drove me crazy. I eventually put the walls back. If you play with the walls half up it sort of keeps the look anyways since the house is only one room wide. I do plan on continuing to play in this house though. Its so cute.
  • The idea came to mind some time ago before I've even heard of this challenge, I started building a cute victorian doll house then I abandoned it without decorating, I got bored quickly. It would be a useless house for normal game play after all. One thing I realized building it, to make it look like an actual doll house you need to enlarge the furniture because kids doll houses usually have huge furniture compared to the scale of the rooms, you can put 1 armchair, 1 lamp, 1 bookcase and they fill the room. That's what makes doll houses look cute.
  • @FurSimsOfficial Unless its a wall it messes with the lighting. I've even tested the taller half walls and those don't even work.

Here are some pics of the "dollhouse" I made

Spoiler

• I found this regarding this challenge, it looks interesting, but I play with free will on, because I like to have the unknown thrown at me.

https://simscommunity.info/social/threads/dollhouse-challenge.1813/
    Divinity_wingz
    Seasoned Newcomer
    I've seen a few of them pop up on my tumblr dashboard. They're pretty cool.
    elliebreton
    Seasoned Veteran
    "LaBlue0314;c-17021910" wrote:
    I got the impression that it has all four walls, but the home is only one room wide, such as you see in a dollhouse.

It says in the post linked to
    it has to actually resemble a real dollhouse so, no front wall and no back rooms
    And the picture has two rooms wide, though I gather you can add more so long as they are not behind other rooms.

It sounds kinda fun but, as @Dannydanbo said, they would freeze in the Winter.
  • I've been playing around with these a little and the idea is that it is like an opened dollhouse with limited number of walls. Most are not designed for anything beyond the screenshot... ie not necessarily livable. Think of it as a cutaway view/diorama of a moment in a sim's life :) I also pull out the ceiling to stop it throwing a shadow and then in live mode play around with times of day and maybe even seasons to see what lighting looks best - though I don't use ceiling lights as they kept getting into the shot (I let the outside lighting 'pretend' to be ceiling lights :D ). It's not exactly a 'challenge'... rather it seems to be more around creating a picture/artstyle.

These are my first 2 efforts:

Granny's Bedroom
    Granny's Kitchen