Forum Discussion

pingu632
Rising Novice
2 months ago

How do I get "into" the game?

I figure if I'm creatively challenged ask the creative people.  I keep starting and restarting a world.  I can't seem to get very far before I lose focus and restart.  Any suggestions for getting some momentum of getting into the game?

• You can try to do a challenge. There are loads of Sims challenges you can play. You can find them on the forums or a Google search. Challenges will allow you to focus on achieving certain goals so the game doesn't feel so open-ended (if that's where your issue lies). There's also nothing wrong with only focusing on one aspect of the game. You can just build or create Sims or set up screenshots or make SimLit or machinima or whatever strikes your fancy. There's nothing wrong if you're not interested in playing the game "traditionally". I haven't "played" in a casual sense in a long time, but I'm in the game all the time doing challenges and SimLit. If you need a change of atmosphere, try to recreate a specific time-period, or fantasy or sci-fi world. Or make your favorite novel/movie/series/not-sims-game in the game and play some fanfic.

• You can try to do a challenge. There are loads of Sims challenges you can play. You can find them on the forums or a Google search. Challenges will allow you to focus on achieving certain goals so the game doesn't feel so open-ended (if that's where your issue lies). There's also nothing wrong with only focusing on one aspect of the game. You can just build or create Sims or set up screenshots or make SimLit or machinima or whatever strikes your fancy. There's nothing wrong if you're not interested in playing the game "traditionally". I haven't "played" in a casual sense in a long time, but I'm in the game all the time doing challenges and SimLit. If you need a change of atmosphere, try to recreate a specific time-period, or fantasy or sci-fi world. Or make your favorite novel/movie/series/not-sims-game in the game and play some fanfic.

pingu632
      Rising Novice
      QuinShay5 wrote:

so the game doesn't feel so open-ended

I think this is where my issue does lie. . . there's so much to see and do I get a bit lost and overwhelmed.  I'm going to take your suggestion of a challenge and see where that leads me.  I'm interested in the various gameplay aspects of the different packs and a challenge might lead me into exploring that a bit more.  Thanks for the suggestions.

BissenNess
        Seasoned Vanguard

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you might enjoy a pack legacy challenge. If you google "Sims 4 pack challenge" several options will come up. For your first character, their life will revolve around exploring one of the packs. For example, if they focus on Get to Work, they might get a job as a scientist who invents a portal to another galaxy and makes friends with an alien, but later quit all of that to open a cozy bake shop. While they're doing all of this, they are starting a family and raising the next generation, who will focus on exploring a different pack.

• I agree that having some sort of objective, a story you want to tell, makes it easier. For me, so far, the decades challenge has been fantastic (but then I'm a history buff). I usually have a harder time sticking to the legacy challenges where it's dictated what each generation should do (what if the kid doesn't have a creative bone in them but are supposed to be a painter because the challenge says so?). 

I do like challenges connected to the worlds and careers, so you try as many different aspects of the game as possible.